PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Heater Problems...

Studman
02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey folks,

I just bought my 1997 Range Rover, I am excited but a little overwhelmed with a few problems that it has.

First, the heater blows full blast all of the time. It will not go off. The passenger side has hot air and the drivers side has cold air. Any Ideas?

Second, we replaced the battery, so the radio does not work. I called and the dealership gave me a code, but the radio only has this displayed _ _ _ _ and the when I input the code...nothing happens.

I look forward to having fun with this new toy!

Thanks

Studman.

DGG
02-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Studman,
This should have actually been posted on the P38 forum because that is what your RR is, a P38. Anyway, does the heater blow on full blast with the "AUTO" button pushed, and is the fan blowing full blast, or are you just getting a lot of heat. If you are getting a lot of heat, it is probably your heater temp sensor that needs replacing. If you are mechanically inclined, it is an easy job. You just have to take the glove box out to access the heater pipes. Unclip the old sensor and put on the new one. I believe a new sensor is about $30 bucks. The other problem has to do with the blend motors. These go bad about every 4-5 years, and need replacing. It is a lot of work, but this can also be done by yourself. The blend motors come in packs of three. So if your going to the trouble of replacing one, you might as well replace all of them. The problem you're experiencing with one side being hot and the other cold is because the distribution motor is bad. There are two blend motors and one distribution motor in the blend motor three pack. If you take it to the dealer, you're looking at about $1,200-$1500, but like I said you can do it yourself if you have the time and patience(6-8hours) for about$300. Good luck.

singingcamel
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
:thumb-up: right on DDG

TSR53
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
thread moved.

HTH, Thompson

goya
05-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Studman,

I too have just purchased a 1997 and am excited and overwhelmed and experiencing similar heating/aior issues.

Secondly, the radio codes is what I wanted to assist with. Firstly, there are two codes which you can try to get your radio on-2334 or 4151. Also, don't know if you have a manual which details the specifics of the following-the radio and car must be on for one hour prior to inputting a code and the hour restarts each time an incorrect code is input. The hour is acknowledged by displaying CODE IN then I think you have to hold down the band button and input your code. If none of this helps, then the best suggestion is going to the dealer and they coould get you code based on the VIN#.

Good Luck!:thumb-up: