PDA

View Full Version : Battery Earth Lead?

SixthFlick
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Just wondering - where does one find / what exactly is the battery earth lead that is mentioned in the Workshop Manual for an '04 Disco? Is it simply the cable connected to the negative battery terminal or is it the grounding strap that is attached near the upper left of the battery? Does it matter / do the same thing if I simply disconnect the negative terminal? I've heard about certain items, such as the radio, giving trouble if the battery is disconnected (such as radio codes).

Does anyone have pictures??? I'm about to remove the seats and associated electronics below them in order to pull up all of my soaking wet carpeting (another story).

Thanks...

SixthFlick
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
self-bump.

Joey4420
07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Unless I am mistaken, it will be the negative battery terminal cable. Keep in mind that your Rover will still have about a dozen or so other grounds...

SixthFlick
07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Unless I am mistaken, it will be the negative battery terminal cable.

So I'm guessing I won't have a shocking experience then if I disconnect the negative terminal??

Joey4420
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Nope, I do it all the time. Best practice is to remove the Negative terminal, not the positive.

Unless changing the battery, but always remove - first, when putting new battery in install + first.