PDA

View Full Version : leaking radiator fluid

midessa7
09-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone, I am leaking radiator fluid from the backside of my engine but I can't quite put a finger on it because it's a tight spot. I guessing it's the head gaskets. The truck is not over heating and there is no radiator fluid in the oil. I did notice some small air bubbles coming from the last spark plug closest to the driver. Now wouldn't I be loosing compression and wouldn't there be an actual hissing sound coming from around the head gasket area.

Thanks, midessa7
2000 DII
98,500mi

Colorado Rover
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Air bubbles from the spark plug? Do you have coolant in the cylinder? IS the coolant leaking out on to he spark plug and then plug is loose causing the fluid to bubble? Does this happen hot and/or cold - boilding off coolant on bloack/head could look like bubles. Have you checked the lines for the heater core that go into hte dash. If memory serves correct I believe these are rubber lines.

Let us know what you find or found out.

Joey4420
10-13-2009, 07:47 AM
More than likely head gasket will be the issue.

akrockhound
11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't be too quick to jump to head gasket. I presently have my Disco heads off in the shop. I had some coolant dripping from the bottom of back of engine. Seemed likely to be a head gasket. BUT in the process of taking my heads off I found that the leak was coming from the valley gasket at the back of the heads. The bolts on my ower intake plenum were pretty loose. I decided to take my heads off anyway since I was already there, but they gaskets looked fine. I am having the heads cleande and vlaves/seta touched up.

anyway before you rip into your engine try to tighten the intake mainifold bolts at the rear of your engine. You are looking for two bolts at the very back of the top of your engine. These two bolts hold the lower intake plenum to your heads. tighten them and see if your leak goes away.