PDA

View Full Version : Cold Galvanizing compounds

B. Wallace
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Has anyone had any luck with any of the "cold" galvanizing spays? I am considering recoating the bumper and trip pieces on the SIII, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this task. I tested the spray can that rustoleum sells, but it doesn't seem to be a great match. Let me know what you think...

singingcamel
02-21-2007, 09:40 AM
hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, ain't gonna look like the real thing, ,you can buy a new front bumper from the hosts ,cheap..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

yorker
02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
That stuff isn't even close- it does work good as a rust inhibitor. I have some bolts that I sprayed with it as a quick fix and they have been rust free for 10 years now. It really isn't a good replacement for real galvanizing though- it doesn't even look close. Some people use Hammerite paint to touch up galvy... I don't like it but you might.

jp-
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I have used one type of spray that does look pretty close. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I think I have a can left at the house. Of course nothing is perfect, but it seemed to do a great job.

jac04
02-22-2007, 06:35 PM
During my restoration, I tried several cold galvanizing sprays. As others have noted, they do not look correct. I actually ended up using Hammerite silver/gray paint the first time around, putting it on in very thin coats to avoid the 'hammered' look. It looked good and was very, very durable.

The second time around, I had everything hot dipped galvanized. Nothing beats the real thing.