PDA

View Full Version : 110's are due soon

Dan Dixon
02-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Starting 2008 the 110 will be 25 years old......which means they will be eligable for importation (diesel version). Any thoughts, words of wisdom, recommended importers, etc. about this significant event for us obsessive-compulsive group that have been longing for them? I tried explaining my jubulation to my wife, but she seems non-plussed. I have described, in artistic detail, the ability to maintain highway speeds while traviling in comfort through the California's desert as compared to our series III 88. She distractedly reminds me we should rebuild the engine in our G..D...Ford 4WD PU, and use it. I think she is all smarty pants now that she has a Physics credential.

a109
02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Dan,
I hate to burst your cosy bubble but the 84 110 diesels has the the 2.25 in them so they are still slow. On the bright side many have been retro fitted with the 200tdi which makes all the difference.

John

Dan Dixon
02-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Excellent point. Maybe, just maybe, one could wave a few pounds (money, not fat) at a willing Brit to have a 200 tdi refit done prior to shipping. Not only that, but throw a few tasty spares into the rear for the ride home. My bubble is still cozy, and my imagination still self-destructive. hmmmmm......

Dan

J!m
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
There are several companies offering restoration and importation of rovers from the UK.

Pick up a copy of LRM and check the back. Call everyone and see what you can do to find such an old truck there (most have been scrapped).

retrofitting a 200 or 300 Tdi is no problem either for them. As was said, many have already been changed...

Since you want an old one, it would make sense to contact several vendors and get them looking as soon as possible. Once they realize they have a new market, the prices will soar on the old One-Ten (as opposed to the 110).

Good luck!

PS the one-ten is not much different than a series-III 109. It just has coil springs. Don't get your hopes too high... And the NA 2.5 diesel is a bit of a pig too, as stated earlier... The 200 and 300 are very similar, save for the noise. The same power from both engines. The 200 sounds like a VW beetle tumbling down an escalator, and the 300 sounds more like marbles in a blender. MUCH nicer...:sly:

Dan Dixon
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks, taken to heart.

luckyjoe
02-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Also, seriously consider *why* you want an old one-ten /110. Due to their rarity in North America, the same money spent on a 109 could, in theory, get you a much nicer truck.

Regards,

fruitpunch
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Just a little Word of Caution.... The Scammers know that everyone is looking for these trucks.

Just Yesterday an Ebay auction featuring an Ex Saudi Arabia, 40k mile Stage 1 V8, Left Hand Drive was up and finished at very reasonable money. The catch, it was fraud ebay has since removed the listing. May be more details to follow if I find out more.

But the scammers know that many are looking for the 1982/83/84 trucks. If it looks to good to be true it might be worth flying over vs wiring someone unknown a load of cash.

Other things to remember is yes these might be legal soon, but many states with emission controls you could be in troubles of having to retro fit emission gear in order to pass those test. Getting DOT / EPA waved for import doesn't mean you are home free. Some states do exempt vehicles over 25 years on the state level, other do not.

J!m
02-28-2007, 03:31 PM
All very good advice...

Do tons of research, then shop, then buy.:thumb-up:

yorker
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Start combing the English boards- Chances are that most trucks of that vintage will be well used and in about the same condition you'd expect to find a early 1980's Toyota ot Ford pickup in here in the Northeast.

Having said that if you are prepared to rebuild it yourself you could probably score a cheap truck and rebuild it here- I've seen a lot of the early 1980's trucks sit for a long time on the English boards because no one there really wants a coiler that old.
http://forum.landrovernet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78