PDA

View Full Version : Defender 110 Number 431/500 -- SCAM

rovermud
03-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I ran across a 110 last night on cars.com that was going for $25K. I figured I would bite, knowing it was most likely a scam but you never know with today's economy. Everything sounded legit. The "seller" claimed to be a soldier in Iraq and was trying to sell it quickly to secure a home loan. He had plenty of pics and CarFax checked out. 3 things prompted red flags. 1) He said delivery was included in the price 2) He insisted on using an ebay transaction in a manner I have never heard of 3) he quickly declined my desire to use escrow.com. The final nail in the coffin was the "ebay invoice" that was emailed to me came from an internet domain called motorsvpp-transaction.com. I did a WHOIS lookup on that domain and it's registered to an apartment unit in Maryland, not eBay as it should.

These scammer can get all the NAS Defender VIN's from various Defender registries. If a 110 ever goes up for sale on the net and pics are included, it's easy to find the VIN to pass along as your own.

scott
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
he should be seriously f%$#ed up for just claiming to be serving in iraq.

msggunny
03-16-2010, 06:06 AM
he should be seriously f%$#ed up for just claiming to be serving in iraq.

Come on man, any good scammer out there is going to use something similar to pull on the heart strings of unassuming people.

It sucks and he should be castrated for it as it cheapens the experiences those of us who have been there to the general public.

scott
03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Come on man, any good scammer out there is going to use something similar to pull on the heart strings of unassuming people...

gee devildog you sound like you might be feeling a bit sorry for this puke :D

nicklediemme
03-22-2010, 01:10 AM
I am suprised the scammer or scammers are even in the States....I hope you turned him in to cars.com so they can do a deeper investigation and turn them in to the proper authorities.