PDA

View Full Version : HELP I CANT TAKE ANYMORE

Joecarville
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Can anyone help me with the removal of thirty years of military paint .
I am using Napa paint remover and I spend every waking minute as high as a kite:confused:

daveb
03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
try "peel away" it's great for removing multiple layers of paint. home depot should have it. just follow the directions on the bucket, should be easy on a LR. low odor so you can even use it indoors. great stuff IMO.

Joecarville
03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks. at this stage i'll try anything

Leslie
03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I like aircraft remover, FWIW....

Tim Smith
03-03-2007, 11:45 AM

But make sure you are in a well ventilated area and don't get it on your skin.

Very strong stuff!

jac04
03-03-2007, 12:30 PM
The aircraft paint stripper worked great for me as well. I was only stripping one layer, but it should work well on multiple layers. Not to preach, but you should ALWAYS be wearing a respirator and proper protection.

lrover109
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
The other thing that worked well when I stripped off all of the camo paint off my Rover - 5-6 layers was Jasco paint and epoxy remover. Also make sure you wear eye protection as a little flake in your eye would ruin your day

Mike Koch
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Just an FYI:

I ended up in the emergency room due to accidentally not having adequate ventilation while using aircraft stripper...it turns into CO in your blood about 24 hrs. after exposure...not a fond Rover memory! But, the stuff works wonders on the paint.

Safety first!

Mike Koch

daveb
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM

yes, very useful if you have a UFO lodged somewhere.:D

butt (teehee) seriously, peelaway works great because it stays on for 2-3 days and is covered by a membrane to prevent evaporation, and thus has time to really work through all the layers. when yer done it comes off with a putty knife and takes all the paint with it. power wash the remainder and then neutralize (with vinegar IIRC) as the stuff is pretty alkaline. lye based I bleieve instead of methyl deathyl whatever and no odor. I used it to strip 6 or 7 layers of paint off my fireplace's bricks, and otherwise impossible or very unpleasant job in an occupied house.

happy huffing
daveB in DC

Jazzop
03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
It will not be cheap, but if you calculate the stress/grief/time/sweat/brain damage/etc of continuing with your current approach, you may find it easier to take the vehicle to an aircraft paint shop (if you are near an airport so-equipped) and let them spray their magic goo on your Rover. They can strip paint off aluminum like nobody's business, and you don't have to deal with disposing of the toxic runoff either.

Joecarville
03-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the interest and the tips. I am working my way through them and will let y'all know how it works out.. Stay tuned

Joecarville
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Well I can finally see light at the end of the paint scraper and its all down to elbow grease and your common or garden Wal Mart paint stripper. I have tried every solution known to man and then some. Price does not matter, $75 a gallon with all kinds of promises or $15 a gallon the results are the same, it's just really hard tedious work and I would not recomend it to anyone,and I for sure will not be doing it again :nono:

Tim Smith
05-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. I've heard good results with the chemical scrapers but yet to try it myself. Only read the warnings.

Can you tell us exactly what you used and what the results were with each? Also, is it an MOD truck of civilian? The difference would be the number of coats you'd be dealing with.

Tim Smith
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
My bad. Just re-read the original post and it's MOD.

So I'm guessing there is about 5-20 coats of paint. So let us know the rest of the story.

JAy
05-05-2007, 05:24 AM
I tried paint remover, but finally gave in and just used a wire wheel on an angle grinder. It makes a mess, but it works way faster and easier than any paint stripper. Just make sure you get a good quality wire wheel, and be careful you don't start eating away your aluminum.

Joecarville
05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I tried an abrasive wheel designed for the job but the problem is that once it gets a grip on anything it just keeps chewing and in no time flat you are looking at a hole where there used to be aluminium. I tried a product from a company called Molecular Tech which costs $75 a gallon and claims to lift multiple coats of anything;;;;;;;;;;; Na ah:nono: another online product from Strip Ease same price made the same claims;;;;;;;;Na ah:nono:. I finished up using the Wal Mart common paint remover, a lot cheaper and really no harder.
As to a layer count I have no idea but i believe that the vehicle was never washed during it's military service, when it got dirty they just painted it again!!!!. My advice to anyone thinking about undertaking this kind of thing is if you must then; you should check paint depth(look for chips or flakes this gives a good indication of the depth), warm weather is a must(strippers dont work in cold weather, even the Human kind). Be prepared for a lot of tedious work.
There are various types of paint used some are a lot tougher than others and I assume are supposed to be chemical resistant and for the most part they are, a few more coats of that stuff and it could be considered Armoured.......
Thanks y'all for the interest and if I can be of any help just give me a holler.