PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charge Won't Hold

roverchris
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
The battery in my '91 Rover won't hold its charge...I jumped it this morning and my booster guage said the battery was fine...(it's only a few months old). But after leaving the truck on for approx. 15 minutes, then turning it off and trying to restart, the truck only stays on for about 5 seconds...

My first guess is it's an alternator issue...but I'd like a few other suggestions.

jray73
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
put a 90 amp alternator on it, you can get them at auto zone for 140.00. have them bench test your first

singingcamel
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
better make sure you are charging, bad alt, should be charging at the battery around at least 12 volts or better .clean your connections at the battery as well...thats the place i would start..

Les Parker
03-06-2007, 08:20 AM
I would also check the connections on the starter motor, they are prone to corrosion here, also check battery terminals and is the "charge" light on the dash. The bulb needs to work to complete the circuit.

nhbtrout
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
you should also try checking your battery with a hydrometer. Sometimes a voltmeter won't really give an accurate reading. You can get a hydrometer at a NAPA for about $3.00 or stop by a garage and have them load test your battery. I had a similiar problem with a brand new battery in my series IIA. It would show up with 12.85 volts and be dead in a few days. Good Luck !!!

singingcamel
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
charge your battery,disconnect the hot wire from the alt and let it sit for a few days.if it starts you have a alt thats grounding out,good luck
www.siningcamel.com (http://www.siningcamel.com)

NashvilleRover
03-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Interesting. I am having a similar problem with my 1993 Classic.
I am on my 2nd Optima Red Top in 6 months and before that I had 4 Interstate batteries.
I have had it to the Local LR Dealer and they claimed the corrected the issue that was caused by U-Haul connecting trailer light hookups to a constant hot, but the problem continues.

Admittedly, I only drive the truck about a mile a day to work and back. Originally I thought I wasn't driving far enough for the alternator to charge the battery. The problem only happens however, after I have driven the Series for a week while the Classic sits. If I go a week or more with the truck sitting, ... all I get is clicking when I try to crank. It always jump starts right away with no trouble.

The only thing that I can think of may be a problem with the security system, as it is the only thing (other than the clock) that remains "on" during these dormant periods.

If you find something with your 91, ... let me know.

Thanks,
DJ
nashvillerover
ps: The alternator checks out ok.

singingcamel
03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
remove the fuse that run the radio and dash lights,see if it holds the charge..

roverchris
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Everyone...thanks for all of the tips...

It turns out I had a bad alternator...so I replaced it and the truck starts up just fine now.

However, (there's always a however)...now, on occasion, the truck stalls out on me...when it is idle, it is as smooth as silk, which at first was great, but once it stareted stalling out (at the worst times), the silky smoothness lost its appeal.

Any thoughts on why this may be occurring...again, thanks for the help.