PDA

View Full Version : Convert a 110 rhd to lhd?

DonFromCanada
03-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm looking to do this, and was wondering what is involved in the procedure.

I've had a look at the bulkhead, and it looks like there are punchouts for the steering column, but I don't have any previous experience with this type of mod.

Are there any kits available, or is it something so non-standard that I would have to have the parts manufactured and done by a commercial shop?

If anyone has done one of these, I would love to hear from you on how it is accomplished?

Leslie
03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
As they were made both ways, you don't have to have custom parts made, you just have to source the parts needed, and do the labor, no kits that I know of.

Unlike a IIa, w/ a III or a Def, you'll have to change the dash to get the steering wheel to the other side. The steering box needs to change, and the front axle. Then, there's the linkage for the throttle. You'll need to flip the heater to the other side (I don't know if you'd need a different heater or not, but I suspect so). The brake and clutch should move over easier, then run your lines.

FWIW, I'd keep it RHD....

Tdi Guy
03-16-2007, 09:24 AM
You will need a new heater and all the parts. they are different. Also a bunch of dash parts. They are all different. Then you will need a steering knuckle to convert your front axle assembly and a LHD steering box and all the brackets to mount it to the frame. They are different. then just some hoses and cables that are different lengths.. I have done this. It's a pita but doable. If you are doing this, I would suggest switching over to the 2002 and newer dash. The parts are actually cheaper..

DAVIES435
02-04-2008, 09:59 AM
[quote=DonFromCanada]I'm looking to do this, and was wondering what is involved in the procedure.

Don......you still contemplating this conversion?
I'm an ex-pat and will soon be travelling to the UK to pick up a RHD Defender - which I need to convert to a LHD Defender - it's possible that we could meet up...........strip both vehicles down - swap parts and share the cost of any extras - seems sensible to me as I'll have a load of throw-away parts and so will you!
You be interested?

Mike:thumb-up: :confused:
davies435@aol.com

DonFromCanada
02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
[quote=DonFromCanada]I'm looking to do this, and was wondering what is involved in the procedure.

Don......you still contemplating this conversion?
I'm an ex-pat and will soon be travelling to the UK to pick up a RHD Defender - which I need to convert to a LHD Defender - it's possible that we could meet up...........strip both vehicles down - swap parts and share the cost of any extras - seems sensible to me as I'll have a load of throw-away parts and so will you!
You be interested?

Mike:thumb-up: :confused:
davies435@aol.com

Actually, I'm a bit beyond that stage right now..

I've got two rigs:
Lizzy: 1959 Series 2 109 LHD Station Wagon with no drivetrain (axles are there though)
Sarge: 1983 Series 3 Military 109 LHD pickup truck with a donor hardtop, and the 2.25 litre gas engine.

The 1983 is down to frame right now to be galvanized.. I'm doing a nuts and bolts restoration on it.

The 1959 is in dire straights. It needs a drivetrain and a new chassis..

I have acquired a 1997 Defender 300 Tdi motor, R380 gearbox and LT230 transfer case, but still need a new frame - plus I am considering getting new (more likely refurb'd) Defender axles.

The route for the 1959 is probably going to take a strange turn... I am looking at buying a new 110 galv Chassis with recovered axles from Designa Chassis and having them shipped over. They will manufacture up the chassis, suspension, axles, brakes and brake lines for around $5200, plus 1200-1300 for shipping door to door. (through a third party freight forwarder.) I'm also getting a waterproof Painless wiring harness for her.

It may seem a little extreme, but I wind up with a very solid foundation for my dream truck. (Actually, my wife's - I am building it for her and our new little bundle of joy - which means new seats with baby anchors!)

Let me know what you are doing with yours - I will be winding up with some left-over parts for a 109 as well - basically whatever on the 1959 doesn't fit on the 110 chassis (axles, brake lines, etc).

Maryland 110
09-12-2008, 09:19 AM
www.dividingcreekroverimports.com (http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com)

a how to with parts #'s listed