PDA

View Full Version : 95 Discovery/tuning CB radio

landrover77
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Howzit, Rover lovin guys and gals.
I have a weather band/CB radio in my 95 Disco.
I installed a 4 foot Barjam antenna to the spare tire carrier.
The weather band works like a charm but the CB gets horrible
reception, if any. I can somewhat hear others (sketchy)
though nobody can hear me on my end or just dont respond?
Am I supposed to register or tune my CB? What else can I do?
The ground is on my drivers door frame and like I said, the weather
band is great. Please any advice is appreciated.

Leslie
03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
You need a SWR meter. Plug it inline between the end of your antenna's cable, and the CB. Then you tune the antenna to as low a SWR as you can get on ch20. For more help: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

landrover77
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks mate! Does SWR stand for short wave radio? Or something else.

Can I get one at most electronic shops?

This procedure sounds straight forward, is it?

Thanks again.

Leslie
03-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks mate! Does SWR stand for short wave radio? Or something else.

Can I get one at most electronic shops?

This procedure sounds straight forward, is it?

Thanks again.

SWR stands for Standing Wave Ratio. Radio Shack or any CB shop or decent truck stop should have a SWR meter available. Some CB's have them built-in, but you're better off using a separate meter if available.

IT is pretty straight forward... if you follow the link I posted above, there are MANY documents regarding tuning CB's, SWR, etc. etc.

Leslie
03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
PS: Reason to tune the SWR while on channel 20, is because if you have a 40-ch CB, 20 is the middle, and then ch 1 and ch40 will be the most out, but should be w/in acceptable range. (Whereas if you tuned ch1, then ch40 would be unusable, and vice-versa.)

landrover77
03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Having said that, if I only had 20 channels, then tune to Ch. 10 to get reception on a broader range of channels. The furthest out being channels 1 and 20?

Leslie
03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Having said that, if I only had 20 channels, then tune to Ch. 10 to get reception on a broader range of channels. The furthest out being channels 1 and 20?

Bingo!

Also, is there anyone out there whose bought a upgraded mic to increase sound/function? Of course it would need to be compatible w/CB radio and outlet. _Thanks all

Sorry, I've not; we'll see if anyone else pipes up.....

merrillj
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I was planning on adding a cb radio to my disco. Any recomendatios what kind etc, etc,

landrover77
06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I went to radio shack for my CB/Weatherband $100 or so
And Napa for the antenna - 4 foot long for $15 - you can also go 9 foot.
Napa ordered the antenna through a catalog-BARJAM is brand name.
unless you know a good offroad supplier (usually more $)

I did a fuse tap on the fuse box under steering wheel instead of wiring
to battery. CB is mounted next to center console next to my right leg.
CB is grounded on drivers seat frame. And antenna is mounted to spare tire carrier

Its been a great upgrade to my Discovery I and I recommend looking into
the option that seems best suited to you. The weatherband is nice as a dual use
especially if you live or travel where severe weather may be present.

Stephen99D1
06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I was planning on adding a cb radio to my disco. Any recomendatios what kind etc, etc,

The Cobra 75WX ST is popular with many Rover owners. The unit does not have a large "box" as a base for the unit - the handset connects to a small junction box about 1" x 1/2" x 2". This allows you to mount the radio just about anywhere and with minimum lost space - always important as you find yourself adding more and more accessories! This CB works pretty well, too. I did have to send mine in for warranty work about 4 weeks after mounting as the speaker stopped working, but that's the only such instance of which I've heard.

Lots of antenna choices out there. Personnally, I went with a 2' Firestik no-ground antenna mounted to my roof-rack which puts it up above any other obstacles on the truck.

merrillj
06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
I have been doing some research and decided to go with a cobra. The model is the 29 wx NWST. I am shopping around for my best price. Radio Shack has it for $159.00. What about the antenna? Should I get the dual or single? What type of mount for it? Thanks for the info. Jeff

landrover77
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
You should only need one antenna (I assume dual vrs. single implies)
-I drilled the antenna bracket onto the spare tire
carrier - the antenna just screws into it and two
opposing fittings assure a tight fit.
I used a Barjam 4 ft. antenna - wired the cable through
a hole I drilled in the rear cargo door - weather sealed grommet used.
Then it is routed through the cable casing used also for the
rear window-wiper motor cable (can be found at the door hinge.)
the CB cable comes out through another hole drilled
in the panel (roughly 4" x 7") behind the passenger side jump seat.

Those were the difficult parts. Then just routed it under the rubber mats/drivers seat to
the CB. CB is attached to the center console (sits vertical), next to my right leg

Of course this is a "more professional" method. (took awhile)
There are other, easier (less professional) and/or more professional alternatives out there.

Hope this post helps - cheers!