Thread: finally gave in

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default finally gave in

My father bought an 88 diesel in 1963. It was an immediate icon in my family. All the kids learned to drive on it, and it did it's fair share of farm chores in east Tennessee. My father died in 1976, I left and my mother sold the farm to friends, in 1978. The disposition of the rover was never finalized and the notion of reclaiming it from tennessee was insane and cost-prohibitive. It sat in the weeds having been driven last in 1980. My mother recently passed away and some of her belongings will travel north via truck. Suddenly the cost of towing it on a rented trailer became incidental.

Rover literally eyeballed from google earth ' streetview'. Current land owner's graciously said it's mine for the taking, they even seem to be planning a labor day barbecue to celebrate our arrival and the tentative resurrection of the rover. A friend visited the hulk and says frame and bulkhead seem sound. He sees 'surface rust' and that absence of a gas cap........apparently been gone for years. So for under $300 I can drag the lonely heap to VT. It is like a dream. Mindful of what I see on the forum I can see this becoming a nightmare. Where does one begin? especially if I want to do as much as possible with my son, as a learning project? Suggested sequence of assessment and repair?

Preparing to drink the cool-aid.
    Last edited by kwd509; 08-07-2010 at 06:04 AM.