Thanks for your explanation as to the registration. For the longest time I thought all rovers came with the english registration. As to how it came to be on this rover I am not certain. But, my father was particularly fond of diesel engines and I know that in the case of a diesel mercedes he also bought in 63, that he connected with an exporter in Germany who bought the car, and shipped it to the states. We picked that car up in savannah and I think it came in as a used car with 50 miles on it. Your comment on the English registration suggests he did something similar with the rover.

He was convinced it was one of the first diesel rovers in the states, and told me that the East coast office of Rover North America said it was the first they knew of, but that their might be some west of Colorado...... (contact with Rover might contradict the notion that he brought it in as a used vehicle- but after so many years the stories become....... stories).

As for the badge on the grill, I am very confident it noted that the rover was a diesel. Unfortunately, it is long gone. It disappeared after some repair, even before I was old enough to drive.