Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disco or Range Rover axles on a 110?

Default Disco or Range Rover axles on a 110?

Will Disco Axles or Range Rover axles work ok on a 110 chassis? I am looking at a 110 chassis and I have no defender axles but plenty of others.

Yes they will fit just fine. I'd go with the later RRC axles as they have the vented discs up front and are 24 spline. Disco I axles would work also but they don't have vented discs, they can be converted though. If you plan on loading up your 110 you should probably look for a salisbury rear. Beefing them up is a good idea in general.

If you HAD to they'd work but 110s came with a Salisbury rear end and Range Rovers and Discos only used Rover rear axles.

FJ80 axles should be able to be made to work and would be better if you can fab.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

They will work just fine, agreed I'd go with later model units.

I'm not sure why everyone is so crazy over the Sal. rear. Upgrade a RRC/D1 rear axle with heavy duty shafts and you're good to go, plus you're not giving up as much ground clearance.

Unless you're going big, with tires and horsepower( which destroy other things as well), the RRC/D1 rear axle is fine.
    knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

If you are going to go to all the trouble for a 109/110 hybrid you might as well go with a Sals The stock 2 pin Rover diff really is nothing great sooner or later by the time you get done with all the upgrades to the Rover axle you might as well start with the Sals or something else stronger to begin with.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I see what you're getting at, however he said he already had those parts handy and they will work.
    If he keeps breaking axles or a diff(highly doubt) it's a quick swap down the road.

In reality, most folks do not wheel their trucks that hard, especially a 110.

I think I will stick with the disco 24 spline axles for now and if I start having issues I will consider something else as needed. There seem to be a million opinions on rover axles. I know the series axles are not all that strong but the later ones seem better. I have a friend with a highly modded 88" coil sprung via a designa chassis with a TDI motor, Rover axles (not sure if they are defender or disco...I should have looked to see if the rear was a salisbury) but he was running 35's on it and loved the rover axles. So for now I think I'll be fine with the disco units.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the chassis home. Anyone got a spare 109 roof and sides? (2 door not SW).

Yup, you're fine with what you have. I'm sure KB wheels his coiler hard enough to be a good indicator.

Ok...so I found a roof that I am going to look at, I have found the chassis, a 109 tub, I have rear windos and I can make sides. I have two repairable bulkheads and one good one and know of a 3rd that may still be available. I have a series IIA breakfast but I think I am just going to get one waterjetted from either Aluminium or Stainless. I have spare fenders. I have an LT77 that I need to rebuild and I have an LT230 for a manual transmission but it needs a new input gear. I have an 88 range rover with a decent fuel injected 3.5 but its hooked up to an automatic so I'd need to reconfigure the flywheel/clutch arrangment. Wiring harness will be a Painless or EZ....FI will be stock or megasquirt or similar. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by solihull109 View Post
    Yup, you're fine with what you have. I'm sure KB wheels his coiler hard enough to be a good indicator.
    Who is KB? The guy I was thinking of is Chris Comar.