Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - I keep BREAKING my hydraulic lines!!!!!

Angry HELP - I keep BREAKING my hydraulic lines!!!!!

I'm replacing all my rubber components on clutch/brakes system... The master cylinders were the easy part. The big problem I'm now facing is that all the metal pipe fixings are rusty and seized to the point that they are twisting & snapping the tubes when I try to disconnect them from the rubber components. I've soaked everything in PB Lockbreaker, but the metal lines are just too far gone. I've got alot more connections to break apart, and they keep failing.

So, now I'm also looking at replacing my metal tubes.

Could you guys please discuss my options for these metal pipes - it seems like it would be easier to just buy the tools necessary to make my own pipes rather than to order them all from our hosts. Any thoughts???
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

I've heard rumors of stainless steel line but I'm not sure if they were custom made or over the counter .Does anybody know?

You're gonna get various opinions on this. Here's mine.

I always make my own. It's not a tough task. If you've done it before, and know what you're getting into, then go for it. If your lines are really that bad, they need to be replaced anyway. Remember, you'll need to order some brit ends rather than the ones you'll get at the local auto parts store (unless you're old ones are good). As far as the tubing goes, its your choice. You can go with bundy tubing from the local auto parts store, or order one of the stainless steel kits. Up to you. Let your wallet decide.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Default Stainless

I make my own stainless lines:

X2 for making your own. Bulk line is relatively cheap and an investment in a flaring tool will pay for itself in short time. Any old vehicle that needs brake line work has to be done under the assumption its all going to break and be replaced.

I've always wanted to try cunifer lines personally. Very easy to bend and form and shouldn't rot.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

Either way, if you are braking the ends, you'll need to replace broken ends of the lines at the least. Seeing how important the brakes are, I suggest replacing the whole system.

The Cunifer lines are just copper alloy line that is available at NAPA in a 25ft roll, it is also easy to make good flares with it.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Plain old double walled soldered steel line is only 11 bucks for a 20ft roll at Napa. When it rots out after another 25 years, I'll see what is available then.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
    The Cunifer lines are just copper alloy line that is available at NAPA in a 25ft roll, it is also easy to make good flares with it.

Cunifer? I presume that means Copper (Cu), Nickel (Ni) and....um...fer??

I thought my brake lines were just copper lines since they are copper in color (they werre on the rover since it's life in the UK), but I was told they were copper-nickel lines. Is this the same thing as these Cunifer lines, I wonder?

These lines have been on my rover for at least 12 years and they look terriffic!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Mark, you're probably right about having the CuNi alloy lines. I think Cunifer is a brand name. I live about 8 miles from the Fedhill brake line guy. Cool guy and has a couple cool projects he's always working on. The stuff is really easy to work with though.