Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you couldn't have a series LR, then what would your next choice be?

1950's Chevy/GMC pick up (had a 53 years ago)
    Unimog
    G wagon
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Volvo Sugga!

Here is one all gussied up:

A Sugga would be cool, there is still one for sale just down the road from me.

I like the Toyota 40 series trucks. Have used a FJ55 but didn't like it as much. Back when I was looking for project 4X4s all the FJ40s I looked at needed frame repairs AND new bodies. With a Land Rover I figured a frame swap was a given but at least the body would be intact.

A C303 would probably be my dream vehicle right now. Someday maybe.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Old Bronchos are really quite a good pkg. Not too big like new SUVs and lots of options available for engine trans/transfer mods and good solid axles that can be upgraded too!

I love Mogs and MANs but they don't fit the description of being a suitable replacement for LR. Too expensive, way too big except for the open roads and big desert - but they are very impressive.

Old Toy FJ40 but replace the body w/aftermkt. aluminum tub cause they are (were) rustbuckets in their day. Still tough though in looks AND function - probably closest to LR of any make out there.

Pinzgauer and Volvo 303 are neat but.... nah! Though 303 portal axles have found themselves under Rovers as I'm sure you guys know

Here's one you'll probably have to look up - Stonefield - Made in Scotland for a few years (1970's) using many LR parts - I think they have been out of business for years though. It reminds me of a Forward Control LR.

Perhaps the ultimate overland vehicle of all time was the... Ford Model T. Don't laugh - it was the vehicle of choice when all the last overland frontiers were conquered in early 1900's. Anywhere you've been, the Model T was there 1st. (Except Darien Gap of course - LR owns that one!). Both LR and Model T thrive on simplicity and solid engineering - something that's lacking in most of todays machines.

Cheers!

Here's my other "toy", after driving this the Rover seems like a Cadillac.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

I have a good scan of a Stonfield ad that I have in a book here. It is too big to post here but if anyone wants to see it I think i can email it to them. ~1.8megs

5.2l Chrysler v8 or 4 cylinder Perkins

Land Rover UK Forums

Lada Niva

Austin Mini Moke--I know its not 4wd, but its what I learned to drive on when I was about 10 years old (one of the benefits of growing up way out in the boonies).

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Good time to ask: all I have is a Series III now, but if I had to get another Land Rover (not Series or Defender) what would you folks choose. I like the looks of the discos and older range rovers, and want reliability and general bad-a#@ looks. What year range should I look at?
    Two door Rangie, stick shift. The earlier the better.

Default If no rover...

Flat fender power wagon...especially the early wc closed cabs and M37's.
    Cj 6 with the buick V6 and t98 4 spd and a half cab/truck cab
    Forward Control willys fc150 or 170
    Fj 40 or fj45 pick up with a v8
    66-77 bronco- have had a couple- ride well, plenty of aftermarket upgrades
    Early scout...80/800 series again with a v8 and 4 spd..

Going heavy duty...60's era Dodge or IH 1 ton 4x4 pu...came with Dana 70's front and rear...J

I forgot one I want- M715

Land Rover UK Forums