Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Were did you catch the "bug"

Like noted earlier my first exposure was Wild Kingdom. I wanted to be Jim jumping off that seat attached to the bumper tackling animals. nex in the early 80's a guy named Packy drove one to work every day. I thought it was the coolest vehicle. Next I was at a party and got into a conversation with a guy who was rebuilding one. He had a parts manual and talked about how the vehicle was bolted together. Then around 1995 I bought my first one. Been addicted to them ever since!!
    I am told by a friend I have a sickness!!
    Last edited by siii8873; 03-23-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added thought

About the time the Rover folks were busy stealing design ideas from the JEEP, a neighbor took my father, my brother, and me for a ride in the JEEP that he brought back from WWII. For me, that was the beginning of the end. Not long after, the arrival of the MG-TC on US shores inoculated me with the British sports car bug.

In 1969 I bought a 1944 Ford JEEP, followed by my first Land Rover, a 1965 109 12-seater, complete with Brockhouse trailer. In 1970 I bought a 1966 88, which I still have, and the fleet now includes a 200Tdi 90 and a 300Tdi 110 Hi-Cap. The addiction continues....

Default Bug

A neighbor was the British Naval attaché and he had a Series 1. It was my introduction to land-Rovers. I bought my one and only Rover a 1966 109 SW from Mandy Smith in 1971. I still have it today.
    Jim Wolf

First, go on safari in Africa. Second, own a series. Third, drive a rover on a self guided African Safari. Got the first two. Working on the third.
    Were did you get your afliction from?[/QUOTE]

I bought 5 series landys in Johannesburg over several years. Took them to some good landy mechanics, modified them the way I like it, kitted them out and went on safari up from 6 months to 1 year each time in East and Southern Africa. Each time sold them at the end of the overland trip. These trips got me a couple stints as camp manager for a photographic walking safari bush camp in remote Zambia too.

those sites have some great links.
    someday i'll be crusing through the desert in my series
    aaron
    Last edited by 73series88; 01-29-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

Quote Originally Posted by luangwablondes View Post
    First, go on safari in Africa. Second, own a series. Third, drive a rover on a self guided African Safari. Got the first two. Working on the third.
    Were did you get your afliction from?
    I bought 5 series landys in Johannesburg over several years. Took them to some good landy mechanics, modified them the way I like it, kitted them out and went on safari up from 6 months to 1 year each time in East and Southern Africa. Each time sold them at the end of the overland trip. These trips got me a couple stints as camp manager for a photographic walking safari bush camp in remote Zambia too.[/QUOTE]

Great shot on that Luangwablondes site. Ive driven that road, it was the shake down trip after my SIII got its engine rebuilt and a few other things in Harare.

Here are a few more:

Same road, different baobab trees

Bridge over the Chitaki, right before the ranger station.

Me and my SIII at the camp on the Chitaki

Herd of buffalo in the river. Went to see lions but only heard them at night.

Ele in Mana Pools

Another shot of me crossing the bridge over the Chitaki River.

At a stop by the turn off to Kariba.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

msggunny

Great stuff. And a swb landy too. Brilliant place to go on a shake down trip. Most people seem to think they need bucket loads of gear for these trips. Not you..... and me.

Chitake Springs is one of my all time favorite camping locations in Africa. I just arranged with some guides to offer some safaris for me. Many people got spooked about the South African- a group on their own- that got fed to the lions at Chitake Springs last year - he was careless.

Quote Originally Posted by luangwablondes View Post
    msggunny

Great stuff. And a swb landy too. Brilliant place to go on a shake down trip. Most people seem to think they need bucket loads of gear for these trips. Not you..... and me.

Chitake Springs is one of my all time favorite camping locations in Africa. I just arranged with some guides to offer some safaris for me. Many people got spooked about the South African- a group on their own- that got fed to the lions at Chitake Springs last year - he was careless.
    Chitake is awesome as you know, my wife and I love the place. We went with a buddy of ours, Steve Pope, and some gentlemen who were doing a survey of the impact of invasive species in the area, namely the indigo plant if i remember correctly. Steve was trying to get the Zimbabwean park service to do a controlled burn of the valley. This was back in 04.

If you dont know Steve he specializes in lion trekking in the area. He has had a few clients almost eaten/trampled because they didnt listen to him.

I am insanely jealous of you guys right now, i would love to be back there. My father in law spent New Years on the Zambezi (Zambian side) at a friends farm. Green with jealousy.......

More pictures from our trip:

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I in the valley

Steve and I at a rangers residence:

Bush camp on the river:
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default Steve Pope

Steve didn't have a website, so I threw a quick one together for him.

Why did you post all those pictures? Can't wait to go back.

Just found out that Steve has cancer.