Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were did you catch the "bug"

Default Were did you catch the "bug"

Out tooling in my topless 88'' , A car full of youngians pull along side and stared taking pics of this foreign vehicle that most had never seen before. It made me think, was I looking at the next generation of over obscessed Land Rover finatics? Was one of them someday going to be the keeper of my rig ,hopefully to pass to the next keeper .
    It also reminded me of were my obsession came from.The first Rover I ever saw was at my Grandmothers ,Sunday night , after dinner ,watching Mutual of Omahas "Wild Kingdom".It set dreams in motion. First, go on safari in Africa. Second, own a series. Third, drive a rover on a self guided African Safari. Got the first two. Working on the third. Here is a great site if anybody is interested. www.safaridrive.com/
    Were did you get your afliction from?

Like many, I'm sure, my first taste of Land Rovers came from "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Even though I was 6 or 7 when that movie premiered, that always stuck with me.

It wasn't until college, however, that I found some pictures of muddied up Serieses and the bug hit again. Three years after graduation, eBaymotors.com made it a reality.

Default Born with the disease

Our 109 station wagon was the family vehicle at the time I was born in South Africa in the 60’s, through to my late teens. One of 7 children, naturally we fitted in perfectly. Although being the second youngest I could never sit in the middle row Migrating to that seat over the years was a huge status symbol. We did many a long trip and safari with roof rack loaded to the hilt.

Later came monthly LROC of SA trials events. My dad was chairman.

Then came the annual patrolling the fences in the Land Rovers at Kyalami (the local race track) in the 70s and 80s to prevent folks jumping in to watch the GPs for free. It really just cost them each about 6 beers and they got in.

Then came mandatory military duty. Riding the huge sand dunes in Namibia outside the base just out of boredom. Getting stuck was our goal. Punishing the vehicles then giving them back to maintenance as u.s. (unserviceable) was the fun part. ‘Here, fix this!’

Then riding between smaller air force bases in the semi arid desert just south of Angola out of necessity to move supplies.

Then I came to USA and started shaking, getting a dry throat and couldn’t sleep. Over the years I recognized it as Series withdrawal symptoms, so for rehab I bought one and am now OK. Its safe to say its in my blood. Still, my wife thinks getting it was a ‘silly’ idea

Ivar

I found an old off-road tire in the shed of a house we just bought, so I put a Series underneath it. It's the only thing that looked right with it.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Bug? The doctor said it was just a rash.

Uganda.

Where i bought my first two rovers, one of which i still have.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
    Bug? The doctor said it was just a rash.
    Yup and even the jars of Lucas Rash Ointment leak!

my friend jim leach had just got back from africa with the vintage rovers across africa. and i saw him for the first time in years at the british by the sea with my mga. couldnt hold out for a series so i got a 88 rrc that was an electrical nightmare. pawned that off and found a 67 IIa RHD 88.
    didnt know much about them and turned out to be as solid as a piece of swiss cheese. and my daughter and were riding down the highway bringing it home when the rear diff locked up. So neadless to say my wife was less then impressed. sold that. and got my 73 series III 88 that sat out behind a welding shop for 20 years in wallingford, ct.
    take a look at my flicker account at the bottom of the posting
    its got all my pictures of. the rover.
    aaron
    Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

Great job getting it back on the road. I took a look at that when it was for sale also. Another one saved!!!

now if i could hold on to enough money to get a galvy frame and a roverdrive. then id be bet for life. always something little to buy.
    aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe