Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clutch question: Slave push rod length?

Default Slave cylinder pushrod length

The dimensions I have for the slave cylinder push rod are

4 1/8" Total length of rod for IIA with hydrostatic clutch mechanism not the early clutch mechanism
    1 1/4" Threads to bottom of nut at top of threads
    2 5/8" Smooth part of rod above top of nut
    1/4" Nut height
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Thanks Nium.

I'll pull the rod tonight, and measure and report back in. It'll be interesting if Mine matches up. If it does, I suppose that means I have to think about taking a look inside the bell housing.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by Nium View Post
    The dimensions I have for the slave cylinder push rod are

4 1/8" Total length of rod for IIA with hydrostatic clutch mechanism not the early clutch mechanism
    1 1/4" Threads to bottom of nut at top of threads
    2 5/8" Smooth part of rod above top of nut
    1/4" Nut height
    I know this is an old thread, but I have just found this information particularly useful - these sIIa pushrods are now hard/expensive to find. I've been able to use these dimensions to fabricate one from an old handbrake rod (part# 277921) - excellent!

Cheers,
    Warren.

If the clutch has been sitting for some time, sections of the friction material can adhere to the clutch face and fragment and become wedged between the friction surface and the clutch plate or flywheel. I couldn't see a way to resolve this other than to separate the transmission and replace the (relatively new) clutch plate. I labored under the impression that the hydraulic mechanism was at fault and replaced most of it before discovering the loose bits.

FWIW, I ran into the same issue you are having and posted this to another forum last fall:

"Have any of you ever run in to this? I installed the tubing and hose between the clutch master and slave on my 71 IIA, bled it, set the adjustments and gave it a try. The throw out bearing shaft moved but not enough to disengage the clutch. After re-bleeding the system, and double checking the adjustments it still didn't work correctly. The slave push rod didn't look right and I couldn't make the adjustment specified in the manual so I removed it and compared it to one removed from a 70 IIA parts car. There is a significant difference in the lengths. After installing the longer of the two and setting the adjustment to spec the clutch throw out now seems to work fine."

I got this one reply:

"Yep. It's pretty common on most brit cars to find varying length push rods. Moss makes an adjustable length piece for triumphs and I think a couple others. I generally just make em out of round stock, round off one end and thread the other. The one on my IIa is one I made"
    Attached Images Attached Images