Thread: downpipe without cat

Default downpipe without cat

does anyone make a downpipe ass. without the cats?? for disco II

thumb-up Go Genuine

I have not seen any built like that. If Land Rover offers it as a complete assembly, it must be for a reason. Wouldn't change a thing.

The reason the cats are there is to reduce emissions, that's all. If your laws there allow the removal of them, then go for it. It'll free up the exhaust gas flow.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemutt View Post
    The reason the cats are there is to reduce emissions, that's all. If your laws there allow the removal of them, then go for it. It'll free up the exhaust gas flow.
    However, on a Disco 2, it will throw a fit. I've done this, and drove for about 1.5 years this way. Unless you modify what the downstream 02 sensors are reading, you'll burn rich.In the beginning when I pulled the cats, I noticed a *bit* of increased power,... very minimal for the pain it was.
    I say, run the cats. Trying to make a Rover V8 more powerful by *just* doing this mod is a futile attempt.

While I fully understand the concept of freeing up exhaust gases, with a stock motor and having performed no other modifications, it's not worth it.
    knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

Do you have the 4.0 or the 4.6 engine in the Disco II over there? I've never liked the 4.0 engine. It doesn't sound right and give little more power than the Td5 engine available here. I think a tuned Td5 sounds nicer to be honest.

So I've never really had much experience of messing about with the Disco II V8s.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemutt View Post
    Do you have the 4.0 or the 4.6 engine in the Disco II over there? I've never liked the 4.0 engine. It doesn't sound right and give little more power than the Td5 engine available here. I think a tuned Td5 sounds nicer to be honest.

So I've never really had much experience of messing about with the Disco II V8s.
    We have both, the 4.0 and the 4.6. I have driven 2 or 3 Td5's and I like them better than the 300. I think a tuned Td5 would out perform the stock V8 personally.
    knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

It would indeed. A Td5 with a power upgrade box, cat removed, centre silencer removed, free-flow air filter, will spin it's wheels on dry tarmac.