Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving your comfort zone

Default Leaving your comfort zone

For those of you on the G&R forum this will be reputious.
    So you are getting ready for an extended road trip out side your typical comfort zone . What tools , spares, gear, and kind of beer do you consider down right foolish to leave home without.

what type of distance?

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    what type of distance?
    Between 300 -400 miles each way.

I routinely do 400 mile trips. All I take is a cell phone and a gun... and lots of money for gasoline.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    I routinely do 400 mile trips. All I take is a cell phone and a gun... and lots of money for gasoline.
    Is the gun to shoot yourself or the rover when it breaks down.

For some reason, I picture this trip being in the summer, so I feel that a drier beer is most fitting. I say Modelo Especiale, or Pacifico Clara. Both Mexican, both refreshing and crisp, and deliciously thirst-quenching in hot weather.

Oh yeah, and a couple of tools and an Ipod.
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

you said take with you, do you mean there will be no restocking of provisions? cuz i'm not sure i can carry enough beer to do 300 to 400 miles. the sankey has a 1500 lbs limit.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    you said take with you, do you mean there will be no restocking of provisions? cuz i'm not sure i can carry enough beer to do 300 to 400 miles. the sankey has a 1500 lbs limit.
    I have a program installed on my flipup,handsfree,voice commanded, oh yah I forgot the bluetooth compatiable SAT NAV system that has every brewery and discount distributor in the continental US installed on it.It was a real hoot trying to get that installed in the metal dash. NOT..... but not a bad idea eh?

i hear you can travel from kansas city to oregon on nothing but dirt roads. cross reverence that with micro breweries in the western half of the u.s. and you would have a nice 30 - 60 day vacation
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    i hear you can travel from kansas city to oregon on nothing but dirt roads. cross reverence that with micro breweries in the western half of the u.s. and you would have a nice 30 - 60 day vacation

There is a route called the Transamerica trail that is popular for offroad and adventure touring motorcycle Riders. The trail is 4800 miles long and 80% unpaved. You can pay about $200 and get all the maps, roll charts, and for some sections GPS waypoints. A land rover would be capable of doing most of the route...the highest pass is 13000 feet and there are some sections that may be too narrow for a truck. The route starts in Jellico Tennessee and finishes in Oregon.

I did a good chunk of the route back in 2005 on a KTM 950 Adventure. I ended up leaving the trail in Utah because I was just not skilled enough to handle the loaded big bike at the time in the terrain I was getting into. I'd still like to go back and finish. All pictures here from said trip with a few teasers:

http://crazyswede.smugmug.com/Motorc...69392860_FmhLp

Series drums brakes would be seriously dangerous on this pass: (California pass 13000 feet)

I changed my route after this day. This photo is misleading but it had just rained and the road surface was all of that gumbo mud...gooey...sticks to every surface...and you have zero traction...riding on ice is easier because ice doesn't clog your fenders and stop your wheels from turning. This mud could be a serious issue even in a rover. I took over 400 photos on that trip and I'd recommend it to anyone even if you don't use a motorcycle. Most people on bikes do it in 4 to 6 weeks.