Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving your comfort zone

Mongo... You are my hero for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverForm View Post
    Mongo... You are my hero for the day.
    +1

your pics make me want to dump tons more $$ into my Rover, leave my career and travel the world with my dogs and my Rover!

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    ...All I take is a cell phone and a gun...
    I like your thinking! Did two trips to Maine this year for which I have a carry permit. There's an AR7 that never leaves the truck. I also brought a long a 94 Trapper in 30-30 and a stubby SP101. I usually bring all this stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by albersj51 View Post
    +1

your pics make me want to dump tons more $$ into my Rover, leave my career and travel the world with my dogs and my Rover!
    ME TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by albersj51 View Post
    +1

My work here is done then . I think it would be a fantastic trip in an old rover. The truck being so slow that you are forced to slow down and enjoy the countryside....it would sort of be like an old school expedition. Take two spare tires and enough tools to change oil and tune up items. spare axle shafts etc. Camp as much as possible, take photos, go hiking. etc etc.

Mongo, if you were to do the trip again what would you do differently?
    I really hope you can share more pics and info with everyone!
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Quote Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
    Mongo, if you were to do the trip again what would you do differently?
    I really hope you can share more pics and info with everyone!
    The rest of the photos are on my smugmug account here:

http://crazyswede.smugmug.com/Motorc...69392860_FmhLp there are a lot on there that would take forever to post here given there is a limit on how many photos you can link to at one time.

If i were to do the trip again...which is likely I would do a few things differently. For one thing I would take a lot less stuff and I would not use hard luggage. I have a nice travel duffle that straps onto the back of the bike...its a lot lighter and a lot more compact. I would use a different bike as well. My current machine is a KTM 690...its fuel injected and a lot lighter then the big bike I used last time. The way the bike is setup now it carries about 24 litres of fuel giving it a range of between 250 and 300 miles.

its not a land rover but it goes places no land rover could ever think about going...at least not without a chain saw

Which vehicle?

For my car, I just make sure maintenance is up. Do I need oil change? Brakes? Etc. Most of the time, I know if these items are in question. Also if my tires need to be balanced, I'll do that (Discount Tire unlimited rotate + Balance = ). Then I carry 2 coolers: One in the trunk that has plenty of fluids and some food. Front cooler is basically a little cooler that I can easily get to. Clean up the car! Easier than having last weeks coke cans rolling around. Check spare tire pressure but even still, test and throw in the little crappy air compressor along with plug kit (good plug kits are worth their weight in gold!!). Lastly, update music, podcasts and make sure they are all good to go.

For the rover, top off fluids, make sure everything is in working order, tire pressure, make sure I've got all misc crap outta the back and extra batteries for the noise cancelling earphones.

Oh, one thing I forgot to add: I try to only travel during the day. Seems to take a lot of stress off driving.

Default WOW!!!!!!

"your pics make me want to dump tons more $$ into my Rover, leave my career and travel the world with my dogs and my Rover!"

AMEN!!!! makes my feet start to itch..what a trip for an old 1966 109 SW and the Tollers.
    Jim Wolf

Joining and print the list from www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org

Besides basic tools and cap/rotor/cond, oil and water (which should be in the rover at all times). Just go.

I bought my 2a ambulance after a 10 minute test drive, then drove it from north of Yosemite to San Clemente, about 400 miles. Sure it was a little slow especially over the Grapevine, but not too bad.

If you drive your rover regularly there is hardly anywhere I wouldnt go a a moments notice.

Jared
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).