Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving your comfort zone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Leaving your comfort zone

For those of you on the G&R forum this will be reputious.
    So you are getting ready for an extended road trip out side your typical comfort zone . What tools , spares, gear, and kind of beer do you consider down right foolish to leave home without.

what type of distance?

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    what type of distance?
    Between 300 -400 miles each way.

I routinely do 400 mile trips. All I take is a cell phone and a gun... and lots of money for gasoline.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    I routinely do 400 mile trips. All I take is a cell phone and a gun... and lots of money for gasoline.
    Is the gun to shoot yourself or the rover when it breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    ...All I take is a cell phone and a gun...
    I like your thinking! Did two trips to Maine this year for which I have a carry permit. There's an AR7 that never leaves the truck. I also brought a long a 94 Trapper in 30-30 and a stubby SP101. I usually bring all this stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover View Post
    I usually bring all this stuff too.
    thank you for this. extremely useful. i have that busketboss canvas tool bag. love it.

the following excerpt is from SteveH on the land rover addict forum. a lot of this stuff would be covered in your general maintenance, but obviously should be checked before you head out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    I would make sure I have such basic consumables as fan belt,radiator hoses,something to stop radiator leaks(most auto shops have stuff for this), spare water pump, spare fuel lift pump,( or kits to fix along the way if you need them, maybe you can do a buy to return if not needed with your supplier, not sure what the situation is there) check all your fluids, radiator , engine, gear & transfer boxes, diffs. Carry spare top up oils & water, check & regrease wheel bearings if need be. All standard stuff but easily overlooked in the muddle of getting ready for a big trip.

Check the condition of your drive shaft universals, maybe a good time to unbolt them & check for full & free movement, almost impossible to do in situ. Grease them up wiggle them around, grease them some more. Take along a wheel bearing kit & hub nut spanner, 53mm box spanner , I think that J33ps have/had the same size, not expensive & worth their weight in gold if you need it, save butchering nuts with cold chisels etc. Try & make sure you have every tool you could need, by 73 the Landies were a fair old mix of metric, imperial & still the odd whitworth, I'm not sure which is which, I've got most of these & used them on my SIIa when I had it (sob!) but can't remember which was which & some things had changed when S3s came along. I guess some plugs, points, condensor & leads wouldn't go astray either.
    HTH, Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover View Post
    There's an AR7 that never leaves the truck.
    what are your thoughts on the AR-7?

For some reason, I picture this trip being in the summer, so I feel that a drier beer is most fitting. I say Modelo Especiale, or Pacifico Clara. Both Mexican, both refreshing and crisp, and deliciously thirst-quenching in hot weather.

Oh yeah, and a couple of tools and an Ipod.
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

you said take with you, do you mean there will be no restocking of provisions? cuz i'm not sure i can carry enough beer to do 300 to 400 miles. the sankey has a 1500 lbs limit.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)