Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Leaving your comfort zone

Quote Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
    Mmh... I'm a guy and feel no urge to carry a firearm at any time - should I be questioning my masculinity? :grin

I have no qualms with others carrying firearms of course.
    They are not mutually inclusive. I also have a perennial woodland garden, so one never knows if it's grease or good old soil beneath my nails. I don't fear for my masculinity. I even let my wife put wildflowers on our limited camp table space.

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

up here in the great white north it is always a good idea to carry a firearm when out in the bush. I had a grizzly charge me and had to shoot it at 15'. They cover 30' a second so it was pretty much shoot or be dinner. I have an old 303 but while it may be a good service rifle in its day I prefere a good old shotgun with slugs and SSG's for bear defence. The odds of having to use the gun are pretty small, but if the need ever arises it is comforting to have it a round.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    It would be Queen and Country right now. If you're going .303 then the SMLE MKIII is a much nicer weapon than the MKIV which was the result of altering the design for cheaper, faster production.

Real men have flamethrowers.
    Flamethrowers leave that crappy aftertaste though! ...and it took the #4 Mk2 before you really got a decent-consistant trigger on a Lee Enfield, plus the barrels and sights were definitely an upgrade over the old #1 Mk III.

I still DO like the SMLE better though I can't really tell why- maybe because the New York 27th Division used them in WW1.

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

To say that one has driven X number of trips without need of a gun is like saying I've driven my whole life without need of a seatbelt or a fire extinguisher.. that's not to say I'd consider pulling out of the driveway without any of those three.
    How dumb I'd feel if I needed any of those but, instead, sat helpless.

I don't understand this assertion that it's a sign of some sort of "compensation" or insecurity to want to possess the means to protect oneself and family. Seatbelt analogy applies again.

Love those M6 scouts!! I bought one for my son long before I knew if I'd be having children.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    up here in the great white north it is always a good idea to carry a firearm when out in the bush. I had a grizzly charge me and had to shoot it at 15'. They cover 30' a second so it was pretty much shoot or be dinner. I have an old 303 but while it may be a good service rifle in its day I prefere a good old shotgun with slugs and SSG's for bear defence. The odds of having to use the gun are pretty small, but if the need ever arises it is comforting to have it a round.
    I also found a good Airhorn in the tent or quick access grab on my coat while in the bush always handy - bears are quite annoyed by the load blast and tend to wheel fairly fast in the other direction...at least Northern black bears.

mike
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

I'm just now back from 7 days in Canada. The order of things when I got home were, shovel the walk, empty the car, strap on a J-frame and light the wood stove.

Was I uncomfortable in Canada without a firearm? Not really. Am I more comfortable at home where I can carry one? You bet. It's like health insurance or a seatbelt...Hope never to put them to use, but darn glad I have them if something comes along.

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

thumb-up

I am in Canada and I carry a rifle or shotgun with me most of the time. or I might have the bow depends what is open for hunting. right now it is just cougars bobcats lynx, wolf, coyote, rabbits. So just packin the small stuff.