Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Barn Find" locked frozen wheels

Quote Originally Posted by kwd509 View Post
    Your correction raises a very basic rover question......so I'm really glad you raised it.
    you correct me on the size of the drive shaft bolts. I'm new to this and have yet to have a good grasp on what tools I'll need. I recently studied a rover belonging to a friend, who has used his 2a to plow a very tough driveway and for other farm chores, He has kept it going for years and when I asked him the drive shaft size, he indicated he had very few specialized tools and managed fine...... and then he noted that he had used a 9/16". I climbed under the truck and confirmed it seemed to fit well (there was a little play but I might not have noticed if I hadn't been attentive).

How specialized are the sizes and tools?
    thanks.
    It isn't so much a 'rover question', just generally accepted practice. Bolt sizes are determined by their shank diameter X thread (SAE and BS are either fine or coarse, and metric by the thread pitch)
    The same size bolt can have different head and nut wrench sizes. There are "Heavy" headed bolts which are generally one size up from standard head sizes. There are many Whitworth bolts and nuts on theese trucks too, like the six nuts that hold the Ebrake drum, as an example. Whitworth wrenches aren't easily found (Proto and Snap-ON still sell them) if an SAE wrenches seems to fit, but loose, try using a six point instead of a 12 point box (or socket) so you don't just end up rounding out the flats.

I must say, that rover is in better condition that I originally thought. Normally you find old rovers tucked back in the woods with doors half hanging off, deer living in them, etc.

This one actually seems like a good candidate.

One owner from new. Interior is actually spotless. 31k documented miles. Obviously there will always be surprises but so far so good.