Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Barn Find" locked frozen wheels

It is in Lancing, Tennessee. I don't think it is near Cleveland TN-----
    On a farm where I grew up........
    google street view shows it sitting in a pasture- I haven't been there in 24 yrs.
    Son saw the image compared it to the earlier 'before' photo from childhood and pleaded- Let's get it- after all we are going right by with a truck......

I'm keeping fingers crossed this can be done gracefully.
    Last edited by kwd509; 03-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.

To LR MAx
    " 'd say just try to put the transmission in neutral. If not, then try transfer case neutral. Shouldn't mess up anything for the short distance you are moving it. If worse comes to worse you can disconnect the rear driveshaft."

That matches my thoughts exactly........
    being a mechanical beginner I'm thinking of all the unexpected things that can happen.

Artpeck,
    I didn't intend to hijack the thread- but the input given to you was really quite helpful, and I became perhaps too enthusiastic.......hope that input given in response to my queries was helpful to you. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Good luck.

I had the same problem at the beginning of my restoration, sat in a barn for years, 2 wheels totally locked up. I didn't want to tow it out and pull on the frame too much, so we freed the wheels first. One of the biggest pain in **s jobs of the whole restoration! I hope yours goes better. First I inflated the tires and I did pull it out of the holes it sank into, 5' or so. I then jacked it up, Used a torch to heat up the locked drums, beat the he*l out them, then dropped it and pulled it out of the barn. It dragged about 5' then all wheels turned free (relatively), noisy but moving. Getting the drums off will be sooooo much fun! But you say the frame and bulk head are good so you will have alot of fun and headaches but more fun then anything else. Good luck

No worries at all about highjacking the thread. All interesting. As a side bar thankfully my rescue is sitting comfortably on a concrete pad rather than axle deep in a pasture. Thanks sounds romantic but ugly. Mine is also one that is staying in the family as the truck currently belongs to my brother in law's wife's uncle if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by artpeck View Post
    Mine is also one that is staying in the family as the truck currently belongs to my brother in law's wife's uncle if that makes sense.
    That counts for staying in the family. Looking forward to pictures.

Default Where is it?

Artpeck,

You mention Northern CA. I'm in the general area. What city is your project in?

-Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    They are 3/8"BSF.
    Your correction raises a very basic rover question......so I'm really glad you raised it.
    you correct me on the size of the drive shaft bolts. I'm new to this and have yet to have a good grasp on what tools I'll need. I recently studied a rover belonging to a friend, who has used his 2a to plow a very tough driveway and for other farm chores, He has kept it going for years and when I asked him the drive shaft size, he indicated he had very few specialized tools and managed fine...... and then he noted that he had used a 9/16". I climbed under the truck and confirmed it seemed to fit well (there was a little play but I might not have noticed if I hadn't been attentive).

How specialized are the sizes and tools?
    thanks.

The truck is currently in the sacremento area. I am in the bay area.

Art

When you are pulling it, if you happen to see a wheel going the opposite direction then it is stuck in gear. Worst case scenario is, pull the drive shaft and you are good do go. Otherwise, get it in neutral and you should be all set.

If there is a wheel that is stuck on and not moving in either direction, then try wrapping the rim with a large hammer or a sledge. Not so hard as to bend the rim but hard enough to try and bump the drum against the shoes and force them to come back in and free the wheel. If that doesn't work then you might want to jack up the offending wheel, take the wheel off and hit the drum at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Maybe it's 3 and 6 o'clock but again the theory is to knock the drums back in. If you get in this deep, then don't worry about cracking/shattering the drum as it's most likely going to be on your list of replace items on the truck.