Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Barn Find" locked frozen wheels

Well,

That location is tragic. If you were in the Merced / Modesto /Stockton area, I might be tempted to run up there and give you a hand loading up.

Sacramento is a little far for my holiday weekend taste, I spend enough time up there working.

If you end up in Fresno some time, let me know, and we can compare notes on projects.

I just got my "barn find" chassis back from the sandblaster today, and should be dropping it at the galvanizing shop tomorrow. I'll post some pictures under the original thread I started about it.

Laters,

Nate
    -Fresno

Quote Originally Posted by kwd509 View Post
    Your correction raises a very basic rover question......so I'm really glad you raised it.
    you correct me on the size of the drive shaft bolts. ...........and then he noted that he had used a 9/16". I climbed under the truck and confirmed it seemed to fit well (there was a little play but I might not have noticed if I hadn't been attentive).
    There is a difference between bolt size and wrench size. Terrys advised that the bolts were 3/8", which is correct. The wrench size needed for these bolts is 9/16".

I get the traffic fear. The word is that everyone will be on the road this weekend. I will post pictures and progress. Spent a lot of time in fresno but always over the thanksgiving weekend with kids in then state xc meet. Last is now a freshman in college so that timenhas passed. Thanks again for the help. I am sure I will be back as the project progresses.

True. Hence why I traveled last night (yay working out of the office ).

How far are you traveling with the derelict rover? If it is about an hour, you should be fine. What are you towing it with?

It is 70 miles. I found a guy with a flat bed who was willing to do the pick up. Seemed easier than dealing with a rental etc and for $150 not much more expensive. The was something appealing about the image of my d-90 towing an older sibling but practicality won out over romance at end of the day.

If by flat bed, you mean tow-truck style flat bed, you don't need to worry about anything at all.

The winch on that style of truck is strong enough to drag your rover up on completely flat tires and seized brakes.

Quite often, those trucks have rollers in the deck to help vehicles along too.

If you mean a flat bed trailer, it should still go pretty well.

I think it is a good investment to pay someone to do that haul.

-Nate

He will either show with a trailer or truck. And I know I can drag it but I would prefer it roll. Tires are full of air but have a flat spot. Anyway I am off there this morning and hope misery doesn't follow. I neglected to mentioned that it does have warn locking hubs on the front wheels installed when new by the dealer which should also help. Stay tuned.

Meh on flatspot. My super swamper TSLs flat spot whenever I park the rig outside the sammich shop.

I'd recommend that if possible, try to put more air into the seized tire. That way it'll have less contact area with the ground/pavement. Thus, less friction thus, easier to drag.

Just a thought. Good luck. I hope you communicated A LOT of info to the tow truck driver. They like to know what they are dealing with up front. Makes their job easier since they can bring the correct equipment first time around.

it turned out one wheel was frozen but a few taps on the rim (thanks for the suggestion) and it was turning. Brakes master cylinder replaced and brakes bleed it is ready for pickup tomorrow. Driver knows the whole routine but this should be an easy one. Couple of photos attached for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by NRutterbush View Post
    If by flat bed, you mean tow-truck style flat bed, you don't need to worry about anything at all.

The winch on that style of truck is strong enough to rip your rovers rusted chassis in half because of the completely flat tires and seized brakes.
    There, fixed it for ya....

Artpeck, the truck "looks" good despite the plastic grill and dash...