Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 2 Purchase?

Question Series 2 Purchase?

To all Series 2 owners, I am a Range Rover owner and have wanted to restore a Series 2 (a) for quite a while. I have read up on them and found a 1960 88" Diesel, complete, with Safari top. But it has been sitting outdoors for 20+ years. Undercarriage seems to be rust free, body only needs some minor repair. Price is reasonable, any advise on this year, especially the diesel eng, (2 lit, not 2.25) Any estimates on the rebuild costs? Would you take this on?
    Brad

pictures or details? Most Series owners won't tell you "don't do it".......we all seem to have a "save it!" mentality, so the answer you get will probably be a resounding "go for it!"

If the price is right- go for it. If it has been sitting for 20 years you'll have a fair amount of work to do- depending on what region you live in and the weather there. As for the 2l diesel- maybe it is OK as is- do you know anything about its condition for sure? Engines don't always need a rebuild. I've seen rovers that were parked for years simply because a rear axle was broken and the previous owner gave up on it.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    I've seen rovers that were parked for years simply because a rear axle was broken and the previous owner gave up on it.
    I think my 88" was used on a farm in Pennsylvania. It had been sitting for a looong time. The transmission was in three pieces in the back. So I figured that someone took it apart suspecting a trans problem. The funny thing is, when I put it all back together there was nothing wrong, not even a seized bearing.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default Ran When Parked

I bought a '66 II-A that had been a farm truck in Vermont virtually all of its life. Yes, it made it 240 miles back to Maine running under its own power and without any drama. As its mileage was low, and it's used for short run chores only, it has not cost much to run or maintain.

However, that's also because I've chosen not to do much to it. It needs MUCH more that I'm providing for it right now. If I installed the new door seals, welded in new door posts, got all the instruments working, fixed the seats, found new wiper arms, etc., it could be much better.

That said, you should decide what you want the car to do and what you intend to use it for. As a rule, a car that has sat for 20 years will need rubber seals everywhere - in the brake and clutch systems, for a start. Even if they work, they will be so dissolved that they'll fail at inopportune times.

Consider replacing the master cylinders, all wheel cylinders, and the clutch slave cylinder. There's a rubber brake hose connecting the front and rear lines, and a rubber line from the master to the slave cylinder - replace them, too. Pray that the brake and clutch lines do not snap when you touch them.

The 2.0 diesel is not much for today's driving -it wasn't much for driving in 1958. I cannot recommend it unless the Rover will never be asked to go about 45 mph. Have you heard it run? Old Rover diesels were horrifically noisy.

Unless you're in love with owning and maintaining a diesel, and I'm not, I would approach this warily. Of course, a Series Rover tugs at heartstings!

Good luck,

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

I wouldn't let the diesel be a deal breaker though if everything else is nice and tidy and the price is right. 2.25p's are everywhere plus there are ample swap options as you can see from the other threads here.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Must agree on the 2liter diesel, I pulled a S1 88 out of a barn in Switzerland about 10 years ago. Ran ok but slow like a 2.25 gas pulling a loaded sankey. Also parts for the 2l are mostly NLA or big bucks and will most likely all be special order if they can be found.

If you go look again, look at the frame, bulkhead, and doors the rest is manageable.

Happy Rovering.....
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

we'd love some pictures and a price if you don't mind. Sounds like quite an interesting find. If you do a search for "gray," you'll find my current Rover project which has also been sitting outdoors for 20+ years....

Thanks, I did not take a camera at the time, but another guy did and I might try to get copies. It was solid sand tan color. Looked all original, inside full of spare parts. Original headliner was still in place.
    Brad

I agree that there's a lot of work to do. The truck is in a dessert enviroment and was kept with all windows closed. The rubber does need to be replaced, knew that before I saw it. I think the price will be in the $4000 range.
    Brad