Thread: 1982 Series III 109 ex-MOD, LHD with hardtop

Default 1982 Series III 109 ex-MOD, LHD with hardtop

1982 Land Rover Series III 109
    Left Hand Drive
    ex-Ministry of Defence (British Army)
    24V FFR (Fitted For Radio) with hardtop

While in service w/ the British Army, truck was mainly in Germany. I have the assignment records for the truck’s time in service with the British Army.

Engine is the 2.25 litre, five main bearing engine.

Truck has just about 73000 kilometers (works out to be about 46000 miles) and has no rust issues whatsoever. No rust on the floorboards or sills. Frame has no rust at all on it at all and has been Waxoyled to within an inch of its life. Seriously, the stuff is on pretty thick.

All military equipment on the truck is still there and functions as it should. Has all the junction boxes and hook-ups for radios, though I’ve never hooked up any sort of radio. Presumably it all still works, though, again, I’ve never hooked anything up.

Some of the other military standard equipment includes: six-way switch for headlights etc., two 12-gallon fuel tanks, bumperettes, pintle towing hitch, Saulsbury axle/ beefed up suspension, towing/ lifting shackles/ hooks.

Carpeting has been put down in the cargo and cab areas, as well as interior trim on the doors, but can easily be removed should you desire. It does help cut down on the road noise in the truck though.

Hardtop can be easily removed, should it be desired to replace it with a soft top. (NOTE: A soft top IS NOT included. Never had one for it.)

Transmission shifts smoothly, all gears work as they should. All lights and electrics work correctly and have no issues.

The truck starts up right away with no hesitation or issues. Engine runs smoothly and is pretty peppy with lots of power for a Series Land Rover. It will easily do 60 on the highway, so long as there is no long steep hill involved. Still, going up hills it will easily maintain 50 or 55, depending on grade etc of the hill. I did have it up to 65 a few times and once it went about 75 or so. OK, so it was being towed at the time it did 75, but it still traveled at that speed. Seriously though, it won’t win any quarter-mile time trials, but for a Series Land Rover, it has great pick up and can easily travel at highway speeds.

The truck HAS NOT been abused. Well, not by me anyhow. I can’t attest to the soldiers of the British Army though. I have used it for a few light-duty off-road excursions, but mostly it was road driven.

The exterior paint is smooth and evenly applied with an air gun, unlike many ex-MOD or military trucks with multiple coats often painted on with a brush.

Truck comes with the tow bar shown in the photos, which makes getting it home easier, though it DOES NOT come with the jerry can/ jerry can mount on the rear door. Truck will come with the rear door spare tire mount that was mounted where the jerry can carrier is mounted. No new holes were drilled for the jerry can, I just used the existing holes from the spare tire carrier.

An extra 24V alternator also comes with the truck. It works, though needs a new pulley. Other than that, it works just fine. Also will come with an antenna mount for military radios. No antenna or radios however.

I have a clean and clear Maryland title in my name, so no hassles with importation or registration. It’s just as simple as registering any other used vehicle. This truck HAS been legally imported with NO monkeying around with the title, VIN or any other aspect of the vehicle. Again it HAS a clean and clear title in my name.

The truck is pretty solid and in great shape.

Issues with the truck include two things (which are very slight):
    It's almost 30 years old, come on, you knew there were bound to be some issues, right? There are, and they are both very, very minor.

First, there are a number of slight dents in the driver’s side door and front fender (or wing as the Brits call it) area. They are visible in the photos, though, honestly, they look a lot worse in the photos than what they really are. It’s a former military vehicle, so a few slight dents and dings come with the territory.

Second, it needs a headliner for it to really look finished inside. Or leave it as is. It’s mainly cosmetic, but it was something that always bothered me. I didn’t want to put it together from scratch as my skills in that area aren’t the greatest. There are a few places online that do sell various kits, just never got around to ordering it.

Additional photos can be see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1067761...7625300649774/

Truck is located in Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C.

Asking $8900

Interested? Questions?
    Send me an email: jsoucy2@yahoo.com

any pictures of the engine compartment?