Thread: Missing Heater Blower Wiring diagram

Default Missing Heater Blower Wiring diagram

In my travels I have picked up the Haynes manual as well as the restoration manual. I have the pdfs downloaded from out hosts.
    In none of them do I find any reference to a "heater blower" nor any part of the switch involved in controlling it.
    ANY body have any info on the rare and elusive Lucas Land Rover heater that was " optional " yet is in every Land rover I have ever seen , even in the hot sandy countries ?
    Also... the oil pressure sending unit on my land has a 2 wire system, diagram shows only one, I assume the other pole is a ground. Any clue on wire colours? I have a 5 foot pair of wires zip tied that appear to be origional to the truck , when I get the crap off them I may know the colours..
    Any and all help is requested.
    Any snide comments about the lack of a need for heat in a rover have already been made by my wife and should be considered redundant.
    Kris
    \
    Whence came you my brother ? From the East....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Icon View Post
    In none of them do I find any reference to a "heater blower" nor any part of the switch involved in controlling it.
    A heater was often a dealer installed option and there were multiple heater types involved over the Series production run. The circuit is pretty simple but there were a different types.

First,Take a good look at the back of the heater switch. look for a fuse mounted onto the heater switch and if the heater switch has two or three electrical contacts for wiring. Hint: A Kodiak heater has a mounted fuse and 2 electrical connectors. A heater switch with 3 electrical connectors are mated with a blower motor that has 3 wires or connectors. Conversely a heater switch with 2 connectors is connected to a blower motor with 2 leads or connectors

For a heater switch with built in fuse holder:

From the unfused side of the switched fuse on the bulkhead, a green wire goes to the heater switch (usually the switch connector adjacent to the fuse).

For a heater switch with no fuse holder:

From the fused side of the switched fuse on the bulkhead, a green wire goes from switched, fused 12V to the heater switch.

For a 2 connector heater switch:

A green/yellow wire goes from the heater switch to the heater motor, and a black wire from the heater motor to a reliable ground.

For a 3 wire heater switch:

A green/Yellow wire goes between the low speed contact of the heater switch to the low speed wire or contact on the blower motor. Sorry I don't know the labeling.

A green/gray wire goes between the high speed contact on the switch to the high speed wire or contact on the blower motor. A black wire goes to a good ground.

Also... the oil pressure sending unit on my land has a 2 wire system, diagram shows only one, I assume the other pole is a ground. Any clue on wire colours? I have a 5 foot pair of wires zip tied that appear to be origional to the truck , when I get the crap off them I may know the colours..
    Any and all help is requested.
    Series Land Rovers usually come with the green oil pressure warning light and optionally with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

The circuit for the warning light is a green wire from switched 12V to one side of the light. A green/yellow wire from the other end of the light to the single connector on the pressure switch by the oil filter. The case of the pressure switch acts as ground.

If you have an electrical oil pressure gauge then I think it is almost certainly an aftermarket gauge and all bets are off as to wire colour. Best guess is switched 12V to one side of the gauge. unknown colour wire from the other side of the gauge to the sending unit then other side of the sending unit to a good reliable ground. Aftermarket pressure sending units often do not rely upon the unit body threaded into wherever it might end up to be a reliable ground. The have a connector for a wire connection to ground.

Any snide comments about the lack of a need for heat in a rover have already been made by my wife and should be considered redundant.
    Kris
    \
    Peace. Us women like our comforts and that includes being warm. Country women who raise or keep livestock understand being uncomfortable when the need exists and tolerate it well for as long as the need exists. But the others who have not sacrificed comfort for their lifestyle while growing up can be very intolerant to being uncomfortable and tend think of warm as a basic human right. As a rule, an ex FFA member makes a better Series Land Rover wife than a city girl.

Default factory sort of

and yet the hosts show a gauge where mine is , and the wire loom has 2 wires.... I'm gonna do some testing with the meter and then try it out, if anyone smells smoke it's just me and lucas.....

and yet the hosts show a gauge where mine is , and the wire loom has 2 wires......
    What is the part number? I went looking for an oil pressure gauge and only found one for the SIII labeled NLA.

Default gone but not forgotten

rna074 yup, NLA.. I don't understand why it would be in all the pictures but have absolutely no reference in ANY wire data. Even the rare fog light option has a separate listing in my Haynes. Front and Rear....

Default still available....

New Old Stock
    Smiths/Land Rover
    oil pressure gauge
    PRC1736
    still available at some places..

Forget using the schematic in the Haynes manual, or the one posted on the RN website, or in their old paper parts catalog. Those schematics are for NON US trucks.
    The use of the green wire with yellow tracer indicates ANY of three mods specific to US Trucks.
    Here is the Correct schematic for the US version of the S3. It includes the heater blower and the hazard light switch.You may have to resize it to read it.
    BTW all series blowers are single speed motors. The method used to make them run 2 speed was to use a dropping resistor, located in the blower airpath, for low speed. High speed bypassed the resistor.