Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch is Out - Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think Gene and Tony are talking about two different series. A series II has a separate reservoir with a "low pressure" line connecting it to the master. A series III should only have the reservoir attached to the master with no lines to pinch.

Of course, I could be wrong here. Just thought this conversation could be getting confused if that bit weren't noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
    I think Gene and Tony are talking about two different series. A series II has a separate reservoir with a "low pressure" line connecting it to the master. A series III should only have the reservoir attached to the master with no lines to pinch.

Of course, I could be wrong here. Just thought this conversation could be getting confused if that bit weren't noted.

Exactly--The SIII clutch MC and reservior is one unit. Unless amcordo has "downgraded" to an early MC, that shouldn't apply to him. He should have a MC like #2 in the diagram below, not like #1:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Yeah - I have the all in one unit.

Tony,

Tim's right, I forgot the series 3 has the self contained unit. I think a flex hose all the way from the M/C to the S/C might have too much expansion and not function properly with the small amount of fluid being used.
    I think that Ray is saying to take both the brake and the clutch pedal/towers out at the same time to work on the clutch m/c. Without pulling the fender.
    Me,... I'm one of those guys who cuts a removable section out of the top of the fender so I don't have to take it off.

gene

Quote Originally Posted by ignotus View Post
    Me,... I'm one of those guys who cuts a removable section out of the top of the fender so I don't have to take it off.
    I think I've owned three of your former trucks then. One guy was so lazy, he didn't even cut it, he bent the back 12" forward. Must have been Sweeney Todd's truck, or some other butcher.

Tony,

Tim's right, I forgot the series 3 has the self contained unit. I think a flex hose all the way from the M/C to the S/C might have too much expansion and not function properly with the small amount of fluid being used.
    I think that Ray is saying to take both the brake and the clutch pedal/towers out at the same time to work on the clutch m/c. Without pulling the fender.

gene

Can you post a picture of what you've done to your truck? I'd like to add an access point to mine in a pretty way.

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Can you post a picture of what you've done to your truck? I'd like to add an access point to mine in a pretty way.
    This probably deserves it's own thread but I've seen some people just cut a big section out and then attach it on one side with a piano hinge. When the hood is down, the new flappy bit will stay in place.

Not correct but like I said, I've seen it done.

Consider too that there is a reason why there is a long run of 1/4" pipe between the master and slave, there needs to be enough fluid between the two to fill the slave to make the whole system work.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Tony,

gene
    Flex hose will work, just a matter of getting the properly rated hose to have it made up. (think of the pressure in hydraulic lines on heavy equipment or brake hoses)
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A