Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt size and length

I got mine at a Tractor Supply Co, store, they had a good variety in grade 5 and 8. I'm not sure if there is a TSC near you?
    ttp://www.mytscstore.com

I thought RN had them too but maybe they don't.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Hello,
    I dont do much serious towing. But Ive used these hitches on unbraked trailers in the 11-12k pound range on multiple crosscountry trips. Ive also never had one returned to me or heard of any failures resulting from using one. Im actually even more curious about how your lightweight can tow a 35 foot trailer??? My neighbor has a 24 foot camp trailer and his 340hp 07 durango BARELY handles it. Towing a 35 ft trailer with a lightweight seems unsafe in the extreme
    Thanks for the cool picture leafsprung. I'm still looking for mine with the camper in tow...

How I towed it was in low axle, very carefully. Why I towed it was another story. Luckily I only had to bring it a few miles down the road and these were back roads, so not much traffic to negotiate.

I believe the failure in my frame came from the weight of the trailer pushing tow hitch in and down at the same time. The dead tung weight of the trailer isn't all that much but when you combine that with a steep hair pin turn, well...

So while I wouldn't consider this normal towing, I did have to reconsider the set up. When I unbolted the old hitch mount I realized that the material of the box frame is actually pretty thin sheet metal. That's in comparison to the mounting plate of say an f350 dump truck. Now that I've seen what can happen, I don't think I'd be too comfortable even towing the boat with that old mount but maybe thats just me.

I'm sure your mounts are good quality and will take all kinds of weight, I just want to warn anyone that might find themselves pulling a heavy trailer that they might find the point of failure will probably not be the mounting bracket.

Glad someone was able to help out the original poster.

Cheers!