Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLD 1968 Series IIA 109 2.6L NADA Carawagon

Default SOLD 1968 Series IIA 109 2.6L NADA Carawagon

SOLD Located in Arkansas. Very good original condition. Roverdrive, Brownchurch roof rack Of 811 ever built, only one was sent to Searle for a Carawagon conversion. Not much left of the conversion but the tag on the back, curtain tracks, propane bottle brackets & plumbing. Could be refitted easily, with plans. Rebuilt Head & Power Brake booster. $13,500.00

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.ch...ering.343.html

I will be back in Arkansas in mid-March if anyone is interested in this fine, one of a kind Land Rover
    Last edited by giorgio; 12-09-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Sold the Land Rover

More photos, please... rodoariel@gmail.com

Default Mexico

"I am retiring to Mexico, and can only take one vehicle down there. It will not be the Land Rover."
    Ok, maybe something along the lines of a Shorlands Armoured vehicle would be better and safer.
    Jim Wolf

nono Vehicles in Mexico

> To LRDUKDOG

Actually this fall I am taking my full size Chevy Van, for traveling comfort, and towing my Suzuki Samurai for around town ease of parking on narrow streets, and exploring around some.

I may take my Dodge Travco motor home down in the spring for camping trips around the beaches and archeological sites.

And when and where were you last in Mexico? And why do you feel that it is so dangerous? Main stream media reports, or first hand experience? Don't believe everything you read, if you do not have any first hand experience.

It is actually nice that so many of you feel it is dangerous, so you will stay home. There are too many Americans down there already. It really is dangerous! Banditos everywhere! You better stay home, if you know what is good for you!

Default Mexico

So, dangerous must be why else would they still be coming north in such numbers with our job situation.
    No I have never been to Mexico.. never wanted to go.
    Jim Wolf

Steering this thread back to the subject...

What is under the hood? It looks like someone left a muffler under there. I've never seen it.

Thanks

David
    (Lives in dangerous NY)
    1967 Series IIA 88

Default Muffler is Air Filter

The head on the 2.6 NADA engine was designed by Harry Weslake, who also did work for Jaguar Racing Engines.

The 2.6 liter six cylinder engine was originally in a Rover Saloon Car. Odd engine, it is overhead intake valve, side exhaust valve engine.

From TeriAnn Wakeman's excellent Land Rover site:

The original 3-litre and 2.6-litre engines were upgraded with a water-heated inlet manifold and other modifications in 1962. These are known as the Weslake-head versions because tuning expert Harry Weslake was consulted although Rover engineers insist that most of the design changes were their own. All the 3-litre saloons went to the Weslake-head engine because they needed the extra performance. The Rover 95 (P4) kept the 100 engine (give or take a few tweaks) and the new 110 took on the Weslake-head 2.6. There were also very small numbers of 2.6-litre (and even 2.4-litre) versions of the Weslake-head engine used in the 3-litre body for overseas markets.

The NADA 109 Station Wagon was the ONLY Land Rover to use the Weslake-head 2.6 engine. All other six-cylinder models used the earlier (Rover 100) engine, although improvements were made to this over the years until production ended in 1979-80. The Weslake-head engine was fitted for the US because Rover North America's head, Bruce McWilliams, insisted that Americans wanted the extra performance."

Source: http://www.tjwakeman.net/

If you look closely, you can read "AC" on the air cleaner .

thanks for putting the pictures of the engine up, I've euro spec 2.6 so I always wanted to see the westlake head. That wrap around aluminum bit is bonkers. I wonder what real world performance is really gained...

regarding mexico, its only around the border where things are a mess, thanks to our country's appetite for narcotics. Have a good retirement, I think the rover would be suitable down there, you should just tow the other two behind it...or put the samurai on the roof

The Rover would be fine down there, it is just that I do not choose to take it where I am going with narrow cobblestone streets, manual steering, etc.

Someone younger and more agile than I am needs to own it for a while.

Price is negotiable.

Giorgio

Glad to see my old friend, always enjoyed that truck , she ran well.