Thread: Bum brakes

Default Bum brakes

I had the Proline discs installed about 4000 miles ago and they are already warped in the front. There is a pronounced pulsing/shimmy. Braking in a turn is even more fun as the wheel needs to held onto with vigor. The miles are mostly highway, no excessive brake usage.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Anyone know if there is any sort of warranty/guarantee?
    I have emailed the installer twice and haven't heard anything back.

Thanks!

Arrow Brakes

From what you posted, it looks like you had both front and rear ProLine rotors installed. However, it could be another issue and not the rotors.
    If you just changed the rotors and not the pads, that would be the answer. However, if you did change both the rotors and pads, the shimmy you spoke of sounds more like the sway bar ends need replacing, as the vibration occurs when you go around a turn and while you are on the highway. If you are not braking, the rotors would not be involved. I have a similar problem that is not bad, but needs to be tended to.
    That being said, I am on my second set of ProLine brakes. The front rotors and pads lasted over 40,000 miles, and only the rear pads had to be replaced three months ago with 35,000 miles logged and the rotors barely having signs of wear. Then again, those were Allmakes 4x4 rotors with Mintex pads.
    The replacement front rotors I just received last week were marked ProLine, not Allmakes 4x4, but the pads were Mintex. From that, I cannot give an accurate account on durability, but they feel fine.
    As far as the warranty, you have to call Rovers North directly. It only applies if the part is defective, not as a result of bad installation that causes a good part to deteriorate. All I can say is that Rovers North stands behind its products, and everyone is there to help.

I had the Proline rotors installed along with new genuine pads both front and rear. The pulsing/shimmy only occurs ONLY under braking, otherwise it's fine.
    I'm glad to hear that your Prolines lasted as long as they did!

thumb-up

I would check with the installer, as now that the other factors have been eliminated, you can focus on improper installation. I would check the caliper bolts, screws, anything that could prevent the proper pad/rotor interface. If the pads are riding the rotor, or if the piston clamps down too tight, the heat generated would cause warping.
    I hope the installer can give you a hand with this. Brakes are not difficult to fix, but like anything on a Land Rover, it had to be done right or there will be consequences.
    Hope this helps.

Default quick question...

How thick are your rotors?...My fronts are almost half the thickness as the backs...I'm starting to wonder if they were really changed....
    Thanks,
    ~sandt

thumb-up

The front rotors on the DII are thicker than those on the rear, as 80-90% of the braking is handled on that end. That is why the front pads are almost twice the size of the rears. During normal useage, you should replace two sets of rear pads to every one set of front pads and rotors.
    If your rotors are 50% worn after only 4,000 miles, I would remove the wheels and look at them visually. The ProLine boxed rotors do not have a groove between the bolts, as the OE and Allmakes 4x4 rotors do. Check if there is a lip on the rotor's edge and glazing which would indicate a worn rotor. You can also look for the ID #s on the external lip of the rotor.
    As I said, if you have the ProLine boxed rotors, I cannot confirm their longevity or durability at this point, but I can for the Allmakes 4x4 rotors I purchased through Rovers North. However, I will watch the performance of my new ProLine boxed rotors to determine if they perform as well or better than the Allmakes 4x4.
    It sounds to me that either the rotors were not replaced, the pads and rotors were installed incorrectly, or the pads are riding the rotors due to the caliper pistons not retracting all the way (that would happen if there was too much brake fluid in the reservoir). I cannot determine any other reason. I just hope it is the first or second one.