Thread: 1999 disco 2 blower for a/c + heat

Default 1999 disco 2 blower for a/c + heat

can someone please explain how the system works. does the blower motor have to reach a certain temp to come on or should it come on rite away. i just got a 1999 and i dont know if the system is working or not. thanks for any advise because i dont know a damn thing about it

It has been a while since I sold my Disco II, but if I remember correctly, in the auto mode, the blower doesn't come on at start-up, until the engine reaches temperature. you can override this by turning up the climate control tempurature to max hi, and then it will kick on instantly, or you can take it out of auto mode by hitting the defroster icon button. the air will blow cold until the temperature warms up, but it will begin to clear the windshield when there is frost on the glass.

That is what the defroster icon button is for. You can also play with the manual override features to make the air blow just out the dash vents, the floor, etc. Very nice when there is snow all over your boots in the winter, or when there is water saturating the carpet because your sunroof drain channels are plugged up. I loved my Disco II, but have now been very happy with a 1966 Series IIA. If this doesn't help you out, perhaps someone with a Disco II could post a picture of the buttons for the climate control to help you out. Do you have the owner's manual? it should be all laid out for you in there too.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

no i dont have the owners manual. i cant get the fan to run

Check the fuse bank to determine if there is a blown fuse.

thumb-up

With the '99 DII the climate control system is fully automatic, including the direction of the air if left in "Auto" mode. What the "Auto" mode does is prevent cold air from flooding the cabin, as heat will not be available until the coolant reaches the acceptable warm temperature. Conversely, if it is hot out (based upon the exterior temp and sunload sensor on the dash) the "Auto" mode will go to max cool/recirc to cool down the cabin. The blower is just the method by which the air is circulated, it has nothing to do with the creation of either warm or cold air.
    Stomper was correct about the override, but then you are blowing either cold or hot air immediately. If you chose this route, turn on both the windscreen defogger (if you are in the Northeast, it is the top button on right side next to the hazard, looks like a curved glass symbol, if not it is blank), and the rear defogger (bottom button on right side, rectangle symbol), as the cabin has to dehumidify and that takes some time.
    If you cannot get the system to operate, take a quarter and release the two retainers on the panel in front of the drivers knees. You have fuses there, and on the passenger side, under the hood, behind the battery cover.
    Also, and I am not trying to be funny, if the system is non-functioning, push the "Auto" button or the on/off symbol as a first step. Then check the fuses. Then order a new control panel if all else fails.

the fuses are fine

Well, good luck with that then. You ask for help, and then when people try and help you, you reply with short, almost rude sounding responses. I'm going back to the Series forum, where people are nice.

Default stomper

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    Well, good luck with that then. You ask for help, and then when people try and help you, you reply with short, almost rude sounding responses. I'm going back to the Series forum, where people are nice.
    i was in no way trying to rude at all. the fuses look ok. im going to drive the car more distance and see what happens. putting the system in auto mode with defrosters on didnt kick the blower on either.