Thread: Major Anti-Freeze Leak...but not the radiator

Exclamation Major Anti-Freeze Leak...but not the radiator

Got a big anti-freeze leak -- it's a "class 3" leak -- to use an old military term.

My 2001 Disco II (88K miles) has anti-freeze leaking from somewhere right above the transmission near the firewall -- nowhere near the radiator or hoses. It then drips down on to the transmission and onto my garage floor or the road. I've tried to get a mirror and even my arm up there but with no luck. I'd have to have 7 elbows on one arm to get a feel for what's going on!

Oddly, it drips more when I park on the slight upward incline in my driveway, and stops if I back it into the driveway facing downhill. On flat surfaces, it's slow, steady drip (about 1 drop every 1-2 seconds). I refill the anti-freeze weekly and carry an extra gallon at all times. I can't keep doing that forever.

Any ideas on what it may be? Any advice on how to fix it?
    SunDevil in Colorado
    Do it right...or don't do it at all.

Default Re: Major anti freeze leak

[quote=SunDevil]Got a big anti-freeze leak -- it's a "class 3" leak -- to use an old military term. ......

We had a nearly identical leak on our '96 Disco S1. The intake manifold gasket (thin sheet metal with a coating) was leaking at the left side head. It had to be replaced, which required pulling all of the air boxes and injection garbage.

Bob
    '96 Disco SE7
    '80 SIII 109
    '75 SIII 88 V8
    '66 SIIA 109 V8
    '6? SIIA 109

Default Major Anti-Freeze Leak

That's what I was afraid of. I needed to replace the head gaskets anyway, but I suppose I'll do it all at the same time. So much for just changing the oil and rotating the tires on a regular basis....

The repairs would not be worth the effort and expense if I didn't enjoy driving my Rover so much.

Thanks much for the response!
    SunDevil in Colorado
    Do it right...or don't do it at all.