Thread: 04 Disco wheel alignment and oil change

Default 04 Disco wheel alignment and oil change

The Disco is at the local shop (non-dealer) for its annual inspection. I asked them to do a wheel alignment and they said they tried but the adjustment sleeves were shot and they couldn't get them off. Even broke a wrench trying. They spoke to the dealer and they said that that happens a lot and that the best way round that is to replace the whole steering linkage which includes the alignment sleeves. $991 USD!
    Does this really happen a lot? Does this seem reasonable?
    Then they asked about the last time the oil was changed (which was July) and that "they" say to change the oil every three months regardless of mileage (under 2k) because it breaks down. I have never heard of that one. Sounds fishy, especially with synthetic oil.
    This shop used to be very good, but they seem to be turning to the dark side.
    Has anyone heard of either of these things?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sandt View Post
    The Disco is at the local shop (non-dealer) for its annual inspection. I asked them to do a wheel alignment and they said they tried but the adjustment sleeves were shot and they couldn't get them off. Even broke a wrench trying. They spoke to the dealer and they said that that happens a lot and that the best way round that is to replace the whole steering linkage which includes the alignment sleeves. $991 USD!
    Does this really happen a lot? Does this seem reasonable?
    Then they asked about the last time the oil was changed (which was July) and that "they" say to change the oil every three months regardless of mileage (under 2k) because it breaks down. I have never heard of that one. Sounds fishy, especially with synthetic oil.
    This shop used to be very good, but they seem to be turning to the dark side.
    Has anyone heard of either of these things?
    Thanks!
    Yes on the steering parts. My D1's was a major pain in the butt when did the tie rod ends so i can see the D2 being a problem. I routinely spray my wifes D2's steering components with WD40 when ever i am under it to hopefully prevent that from happening to hers, especially since we are in a state that uses lots of salt in the winter...

I would say no on the oil. With synthetic you can go longer.

Darth Vader may be working there now....
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

The alignment bolts rust and freeze solid to the adjustment arms. You have two choices: (1) find an independent Land Rover mechanic that has an acetylene torch that can dissolve the rust, loosen the bolts, and align the wheels; or (2) find an independent Land Rover mechanic that will install the new parts from Rovers North for 50% less than what the local shop was offering. $1,000.00 for this is just nuts, as it should only take two hours of labor to fix the entire problem.
    As far as changing the oil, if you use synthetic, make sure it is designated "High Mileage", since that formula has the seal conditioner to prevent leaks. At this time, only Mobil 1 has this designation in the 10W-40 grade which I use on my '99 DII. The three month/3k rule applies regardless of oil formulation not due to oil breakdown, but the fact oil contains dirt and the filter holds it. After time, the dirt, and other contaminants, affect the filter. Can't replace one without the other, but I would DIY and save the money.
    Also, our Land Rovers were not designed for extended service intervals.

Sandt, What type/weight of oil do they use when they do an oil change on your Rover?

I almost forgot, $1000 is ridiculous for steering parts.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...covery-ii.aspx

+

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...covery-ii.aspx

+

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2...c-nut-12m.aspx (X4 of these)

= $363.54 from our hosts.

If you cant find anyone to do it with out replacing the parts, get the above and take them in with you.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info!
    I wish I had a more LR experienced indy mechanic nearby, but these guys are usually pretty good. I am in central NH, USA. I will spray some penetrating oil and suggest the torch. I'm not in dire need of an alignment anyway. I'm sure the price he quoted was from the dealer (markup!) and a little something for him (more markup!). I usually buy the parts for them for my mini and landy. Thanks for the links.
    As far as the oil, I talked to the guy and determined he was a bit old-school and thought I was running regular oil. He wasn't as slick as I thought so I let it slide. Sorry for the lube pun.
    ~Sandt