Thread: 00 DII -things to watch for

Default 00 DII -things to watch for

A buddy of mine just bought a 00 DII and he is new to the world of Rover. Being a Series guy I can help him with a lot but not everything. What are some issues I should help him check on his DII?

His has 135k, a 2in OME lift, rovertym front bumper and warn winch, a nice roof rack but I'm not sure of the source, multiple lights,overall a nice kit.

There are several great FAQ type lists for Series truck, are there similar for the DII? If so, where do I find them?

Thanks for the help!
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

I have a '99 DII, so here goes: change all fluids if the last service date is unknown (f/r diff & transfer case are synthetic 75W-90); coolant is orange Dex-Cool; change serpentine belt; change coolant hoses; change oil which is supposed to be 10W-40; use Genuine LR oil filters; buy two cans of Waxoyl 120-4 and spray the door/taildoor hinges and locks; replace spark plugs and spark plug wires; replace brake pads/rotors; check all bulbs; change gas cap; replace battery (Walmart Ever Start Maxx, at $77.00, is the biggest bargain and highest rated you will find); clean battery terminals; replace fuel door clip and order four of them from RN; check tires (especially spare); check front drive shaft for squeaks (that means it is almost ready to fail); and get underneath and check for any leaks- remember, Land Rovers don't leak, they just mark their territory. Make sure your buddy's doesn't mark it that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    I have a '99 DII, so here goes: change all fluids if the last service date is unknown (f/r diff & transfer case are synthetic 75W-90); coolant is orange Dex-Cool; change serpentine belt; change coolant hoses; change oil which is supposed to be 10W-40; use Genuine LR oil filters; buy two cans of Waxoyl 120-4 and spray the door/taildoor hinges and locks; replace spark plugs and spark plug wires; replace brake pads/rotors; check all bulbs; change gas cap; replace battery (Walmart Ever Start Maxx, at $77.00, is the biggest bargain and highest rated you will find); clean battery terminals; replace fuel door clip and order four of them from RN; check tires (especially spare); check front drive shaft for squeaks (that means it is almost ready to fail); and get underneath and check for any leaks- remember, Land Rovers don't leak, they just mark their territory. Make sure your buddy's doesn't mark it that bad.
    I would add a couple things to this, although good summary:

-When checking for leaks, look for coolant (will be reddish orange if not tampered with, and the regular, green if it has). Check under the throttle body and recesses of the intake manifold. There is a typical leak that starts at the plenum deicer. The coolant system on these vehicles is delicate. Which is why...

-While changing the coolant hoses, I would replace the thermostat as well.

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

I agree, since I changed those as well. Thanks for the reminder and help.