Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diesels / cold weather

Default diesels / cold weather

I would like to know everyones experience with running diesel in winter.
    I have never considered one because I live in far northern NY where -20degf is not uncommon. Interested in everyones experience with 2.5 NA and 200TDI engines.
    Thanks

I'm up here in Ontario, and it's been known to get a little cool here too. When I got my 110 about three years ago, it had a 2.5 NA in it. Sometimes took up to 45 seconds or so on the glow plugs but never had any trouble getting it started at -25c. Ran a little rough for a few seconds but then smoothed out. Seemed to put out decent heat (for a Land Rover) from the heater.

The 110 sports a 300Tdi now. It starts fine down to -25c with about 15 seconds glowing. The engine has a block heater and if plugged in for about 2 hours, the truck starts without using the glow plugs at all.

The 2.5 NA is in my Series 3 now and I am waiting to see how it will perform this winter. It also now has a block heater so I don't anticipate an starting problems.

I haven't had any issues running a diesel during the winter. I do add a winter additive to the fuel though.

Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    I would like to know everyones experience with running diesel in winter.
    I have never considered one because I live in far northern NY where -20degf is not uncommon. Interested in everyones experience with 2.5 NA and 200TDI engines.
    Thanks
    I have a Webasto Pre-Heater. Does the trick.

www.parkingheater.com (watch the video)

I just fired up my 2.5 NAD. Outside temp was 33 degrees fahrenheit. I glow-plugged it for 15 seconds and it fired right up. Of course I'm using NGK Y-208T glow plugs, which heat up pretty quickly--Highly recommended. These have a 15-20 second heat up time, whereas some plugs take as many as 45 seconds to fully heat.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Default glow plug time

I have an IIA with a 2.25 diesel. It has the original glow plugs but I only glow it for 5 seconds when it's below 30 and then crank. When it was really cold (-10 F or below) I glowed for 10 sec and then cranked. It smokes and bangs and is generally uncooperative for a little bit and then is fine. It would not start at all when it was below zero with just the one battery though. With two batteries it fires right up and off we go. Surprisingly good heat for a diesel too though i run a full cover and an 88 deg thermostat.

My 2.5 never needs more than 20 seconds of glow plug time to fire right up.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    ... Of course I'm using NGK Y-208T glow plugs, which heat up pretty quickly--Highly recommended...
    Dang! I could use some of these but can't seem to find any listed anywhere up here in the Great White North. Amazon.com have them but they say they won't ship this item to Canada. Bugga!

Will have to see if I can get some from the UK.

Brett
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Dang! I could use some of these but can't seem to find any listed anywhere up here in the Great White North. Amazon.com have them but they say they won't ship this item to Canada. Bugga!

Will have to see if I can get some from the UK.

Brett
    I got mine from www.clubplug.net .

Specifically, this page.

$8.79 each + shipping. I am pretty satisfied with the transaction. You might give them a try before you send to the UK.

EDIT: It looks like you can select your country in the upper right part of the page. Canada is listed as Club Plug Canada.
    --Mark

The NGK Y-208T glow plugs are not listed on the Club Plug Canada site and I can't seem to put an order through on the US site. I have written Club Plug Canada to see if they do carry the Y-208T's or if they can order me some.

Getting cooler up here by the day and I think I have a plug or two that are past their best before dates.

Brett
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    The NGK Y-208T glow plugs are not listed on the Club Plug Canada site and I can't seem to put an order through on the US site. Brett

Brett--I don't know what you Canadians are doing with these glow plugs to have them banned from sale, ( ) but if you want, you can have them shipped to me and I'll re-ship them to you, or I can see if I can source them locally and ship them to you if it'll be cheaper. PM me if you want to do it.
    --Mark