Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Buying Rebuilt Engine Sources

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
    Less than half????? The machine shop work alone is around 2k for a proper rebuild and that is without buying parts. Not sure where you are getting your figures from......good luck with that.
    Several race shops around the Midwest. And that is a la cart service with full balancing/blue printing.

Guess I am lucky or at least not getting ripped off...

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    Guess it depends on what is being done. Local race shop to me will lighten a flywheel for $90, do a 3 angle valve job with cleaning, and head planing as necesary, and valve seals on an 8v head as needed for $200. Not sure what they charge for measure/inspect the cylinder bores, boring, and honing on a 4 cylinder but I doubt its much more than $500 - $750. So for about $1000 you should be able to get all the basic machine shop work done. Now this bill will of course go exponential if you get into balancing, blue printing, crank grinding, knifing, extrude honing, titanium rods, forged pistons, double valve springs, etc etc....but then again this is a rover engine...you would have to be rather foolish to dump that much work into a 2.25 motor (or really friggin obsessed ).
    x2. Basic Machine work, a basic balance and some porting isn't even close to half of what the total cost of an ACR or Turner delevered is and offers the same performance, with the added benefit of supporitng local craftsman...

Quote Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
    I did look at many options, just don't have your same opinions. Better choices for who? Are you driving this vehicle? What am I only supposed to use what you want me to use. What is the big issue, I get it, you don't like the engine, so don't buy one. But to say I am wrong in my choice is just ignorant. That is your opinion, nothing more. I don't need a whole lot of extra power, as it will not be loaded anywhere close to max weight. I have a somewhat unique vehicle, and am taking advantage of that fact. I am not using it for a rock crawler, just a long trip south, off the beaten track sometimes. So my choice will suit me just fine. End of story. If it bugs you that much, buy it and lets see what you will do, if anything.Then we can start a new thread, and I will tell you why your choices are all wrong. The reason I brought up the extra interior capacity, is because it will allow me to NOT have a roof rack, and it is a sleep in conversion. Yes you have a formula for drag on the hi top roof, but it is a lot more aero than a loaded roof rack, with a RTT. Or is that wrong too? I must have a roof top tent? I will have a fridge, it that cool? Here's a great formula: I bought it+ My choices+ My cash+ My build= My Land Rover The math does not lie. I like friendly banter, it's entertaining, but insisting that you alone know all, is just getting boring.
    Cheers
    Greg
    Sorry you have gotten your panties all in a twist. Yes it is your truck and you are free to do what you want with it. All I am trying to tell you is that your expectations are unrealistic. BTDT. You are entitled to your $, your truck, and your obviously uninformed opinion but not your personal version of physics.

What the hell do we know though? feel free to prove us wrong.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

gchinsr, I don't recall if you said where you and your son plan on going, in South America. It would appear from your comments that you've given some thought to the trip, but, from my perspective, you've overlooked some points in favor of assuming the best. While a Land Rover may be a good platform for the typ of trip you're planning, there are Land Rovers, and there are Land Rovers. It's certainly never been considered a 'one size fits all", evidenced by the vast array of configurations.
    Having a newish engine does not guarentee a trouble free trip, so, will every potential problem have a fix waiting for you at the next town? Are the componants unique to the ACR petrol engine available everywhere? There aren't as many Land Rovers running around S. America, like there used to be. You may find a dealership willing to help out, but willing and able differ vastly from country to country.
    Have you considered that fuel costs, with the exception of Ecuador and Venezuela, range from 10% more than US, to 70% more. Couple that with a range of less than half of a diesel vehicle of equal tankage, you may well find yourself planning your trip around fuel stops. I can't claim experience with an ACR engine, but having had more than 3 dozen Land Rovers of varying engines and configurations over 45 years, I think you're overly optimistic with your fuel consumption figures. Driving down there simply isn't like any, ANY parts of the US mainland. Also, my Defender 110, weighing half again as my 88, gets 25% better milage.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/en...asoline-prices

Hi Terry
    The long stroke crank is from the Ford truck engines manufactured in South America, the rest is all land Rover. What spares I don't have on hand, my family can ship me spares from home. What isn't clear to all, is after this trip, it will be stripped out, and be a run around for fun truck, and that is why I am happy to have it a petrol. I have always been a petrol head, and like the way a petrol responds, and drives. I have nothing against diesels, just does not fit my needs here. Yes the fuel cost are more,the range is less, but that is fine, and not an issue. I was only wanting another 25hp over stock, with a little more torque to be happy honestly, so this engine exceeds my expectations. I have just bought a lifting roof for a 110 in the UK, and will build a 110 with a diesel for this roof. That one will be a dedicated camping truck, built with different parameters, and intended usage.I hope this clears up why I chose the 2.8 ACR lump, and not a TDi

to be honest if we all thought the same about stuff the world over we most likely wouldn't be driving old Land Rovers in the first place!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Am I the only who has noticed that the truck in question appears to be a Defender? I suppose I should start by asking for the specs for the drivetrain? What engine is in there now - at worst it would be a 2.5 petrol from the factory? If it is a Defender I would expect 3.54 diffs, LT77 or maybe an R380 mated to an LT230. The transfer case could be the make or break of that engine as you have high ratio choices of between 1:1 (ish) up to 1.6:1.

It is a 110 first registration AUG 1984. It has a 2.5 petrol with a Lt77, and a 1.6 T/C and runs fine. It would cruise at 65 all day in 5th stock, and hit 85, but be a bit scary. I loaded it with 800lbs spread out in the rear to get an idea of power requirements. It ran fine through 1-4, but was not accelerate in OD. It held speed fine, even on slight upgrades. This is where the 25 extra hp number came from. It's not a race car, and don't expect it, just a slight upgrade needed for the extra weight.
    Greg

If your old drivetrain needs a home, let me know!

[/B][/B]QUOTE=gchinsr;64176]It is a 110 first registration AUG 1984. It has a 2.5 petrol with a Lt77, and a 1.6 T/C and runs fine. It would cruise at 65 all day in 5th stock, and hit 85, but be a bit scary. I loaded it with 800lbs spread out in the rear to get an idea of power requirements. It ran fine through 1-4, but was not accelerate in OD. It held speed fine, even on slight upgrades. This is where the 25 extra hp number came from. It's not a race car, and don't expect it, just a slight upgrade needed for the extra weight.
    Greg[/QUOTE]

Here is some info on mileage. While many are saying mileage will be scary low mpg, due to average weight of average expedition vehicle. This is not an average anything, now, or when I have it ready to leave. Lizzy will not be loaded down with every piece known to man, nor have every creature comfort. I will construct the interior as light as possible, while being durable enough to make the trip. That being said, will take a lot of stress off the vehicle, which should help with reliability. We all drive different, and there are too many variables to guess. The question never arose before I purchased the motor, and asked later on. The previous owner real world figures are 14+ off road, and on last trip laning in France, loaded for two was over 16mpg. This is with points in the dizzy. I am installing a Magnetronic points replacement in a new dizzy, with exhaust modifications, and talking with Roland I should get 16+ off road, and expect more with long highway stretches. I have no reason to doubt either statements, as I had already bought the motor, and Roland's reputation is on the line. I will have 145ltrs aboard, and doubt fuel will be a problem. I will research fueling a little further out, when a rough route is better defined, and have extra Scepters if I think it will be a problem. Almost sounds like everyone would be happier if I got a diesel Toyota LC, which has about 1/2 the interior space as Lizzy.