Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-MOD vs Civilian

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

Default Ex-MOD vs Civilian

I am looking at two diferent Defenders one is an Ex-MOD the other a Civilian model my question is the MOD 110 built heavier duty than the civi? If the vehicles are in simular condition which would you choose?

Thanks

Is the MOD truck 12 volt ? Do they both have the same ratio TC ?
    If yes, I'd probably go for the MOD truck ( and no, not for the suposed 'maintainance)

They both are 12 volt, 2.5 NA Diesels

I like the MoD versions, but you should be aware that they are geared differently than the civilian versions. First and second gears are lower in the military LT77 transmission, and the transfer case is geared at 1.6. With that setup and a 68 hp 2.5 NA diesel, don't plan on exceeding 60 mph except for an occasional short burst to 65.
    '55 SI 86

thumb-up

the speed limit here is 100km/hr (63 MPH) so cruising at 60 is just fine. I will be spending more time off the highway than on it. I live in the Rocky Mountain Trench there are skid trails and logging raoads all ove rthe place here you could drive a different road every day within 100 miles and never in a year cruise the same one.

It all depends on how much noise and vibration you can handle.. I had a military 1.6 t-case in my 110 Ex-MOD. It can pull a mountain but, fast ain't the word.. At 60mph (+/- 100km/h) you won't be able to communicate without shouting. It feels like you're pushing it and over-reving it. I swap for a 1.2 but it wasn't quite the thing either. Over-geared! Nice at highway speed but the zone between 3rd and 4th made me switch to the proper 1.4 t-case. Even with that gearing highway speed is noisy and a bit over-reving as well. So basically I tried all of them. Stick to the 1.4 t-case. Best all round. In my opinion the 1.6 gearing is for off roading, pulling and preventing squadies to crash at high speed!
    Jeff
    Younger, we pointed the guy I now became.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
    It all depends on how much noise and vibration you can handle.. I had a military 1.6 t-case in my 110 Ex-MOD. It can pull a mountain but, fast ain't the word.. At 60mph (+/- 100km/h) you won't be able to communicate without shouting. It feels like you're pushing it and over-reving it. I swap for a 1.2 but it wasn't quite the thing either. Over-geared! Nice at highway speed but the zone between 3rd and 4th made me switch to the proper 1.4 t-case. Even with that gearing highway speed is noisy and a bit over-reving as well. So basically I tried all of them. Stick to the 1.4 t-case. Best all round. In my opinion the 1.6 gearing is for off roading, pulling and preventing squadies to crash at high speed!
    Jeff
    What engine and tire size are you running? I'm going to be facing that same dilemma soon, but I'm also going to swap the 2.5 NA for a 200tdi, so I thought perhaps the 1.2 case might work with the stronger engine. I'll have 1.4 available also, but would prefer to get it right the first time.
    '55 SI 86

The set up is : 200tdi with a LT77 and 1.4 t-case. Tires are 235 / 85 / r16 (BF Mud terrain). 1.2 t-case is a bit too much.. Even at highway speed (65mph) you're in between two gear. The wind barrier is hard to break in fifth and it rev too much to be in 4th. When trying to start on a hill in first it will pull but it ain't gear down enough to feel comfortable or powerful. Just like the 1.6 feels too short on gear. When you start even on a severe incline you can do it in second gear..If I can give you an advice, go with the 1.4 t-case. Defender where never intended for fast cruising.. Even so they are a bit more civilized then series on highway cruising. It's a completely different beast..

JEff
    Younger, we pointed the guy I now became.

I have a nearly rust-free Ex-MoD 90 hardtop, 2.5NA with 1.4 case and 3.96 1st gear. I run 265-75r16s And it gives 9-12 litres per 100kms. 110km/h is top speed. I ran 9.00r16s with 4.7 diffs and it was way too low geared and the tires were way too heavy. I went back to stock gears and ’’normal’’ rubber. It is loud as hell with the bare metal roof on it and tolerable without the roof. Ex-MoDs tend to have good mechanicals and chassis with beat up bodies. Civilian trucks tend to have rust issues (ask CDNrover). If you dont mind the dents, Army trucks arent too bad if you put in powersteering.
    67 angry hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
    The set up is : 200tdi with a LT77 and 1.4 t-case. Tires are 235 / 85 / r16 (BF Mud terrain). 1.2 t-case is a bit too much.. Even at highway speed (65mph) you're in between two gear. The wind barrier is hard to break in fifth and it rev too much to be in 4th. When trying to start on a hill in first it will pull but it ain't gear down enough to feel comfortable or powerful. Just like the 1.6 feels too short on gear. When you start even on a severe incline you can do it in second gear..If I can give you an advice, go with the 1.4 t-case. Defender where never intended for fast cruising.. Even so they are a bit more civilized then series on highway cruising. It's a completely different beast..

JEff
    Thanks for that. I figured the 1.2 might be a little too tall, so it's good to have some input from somebody who has been there. We have a 75 mph speed limit here, but I question whether the 200tdi can even push a 110 that fast in 5th with the 1.2 case.
    '55 SI 86