Thread: Bulkhead repair

Default Bulkhead repair

Hey everyone,

I hope to start repairing my bulkhead in the next few days. My buddy is going to show me how to weld (new skill!!).

Questions:
    1. Got the doorposts from our hosts (looks stout) yesterday. They almost look powder coated. Should I sandblast them before welding to get this coating off?

2. The plan is to keep the bulkhead on the frame as a jig, measure, cut and weld. Seem reasonable?

3. The new footwells will be here next week, is it ok to do the doorposts now and the footwells when they arrive? Or, is it better/easier to do it all at once?

4. Any advice?

Thanks!

Jason

I believe these parts are galvanized. Remove just enough coating to do welding.

I'm sure your buddy will tell you, but just in case, yes, definitely remove the galvanization any place you are going to weld. It's very bad to breath it in in any quantity.

Check Ike Goss' site (Pangolin4x4) for a write up on bulkhead repair. You'll need to drill out spot welds to do this right. That will help with the template approach you mention. He also discusses fit issues and trimming pieces. Much more detail than anyone can give you here in a few lines.
    1970 88 IIA

1. It's just grey primer. Do your welding in a well ventilated area, but no breeze.
    2. Doing it on the chassis is best unless you have a set up jig already built.
    3.Wait for the footwells(either halfs or whole ones). They are related. Cut your old door post first, then measure for the new post cut. It isn't likely you'll want to use the whole new post. Leave the old footwell in until the new post is done, as it holds the whole bulkhead in place. It's not a 5 wrench job, just requires care andd don't rush it.

Thanks guys! I've read ikes write-up, its amazing! Ill be sure to grind it first, as you all said zinc oxide (i think that's the byproduct) is very bad. I think its just primer, but better to be safe and the primer would need to go for welding anyway. My main concern is making sure it all lines up properly with the doorposts.