Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you install vent seals?

Quote Originally Posted by bullstanky View Post
    Buying 3m contact cement and leaving the vents closed for 3-4 months? Holy hell, I thought this was a drop it in and go kind of job I may be on the way to the hardware store for some nice old fashioned adhesive backed foam weatherstripping....
    Keeping the vents closed that long will insure that the seals "mold" to that vent shape. I think you will be hard pressed to keep all the air and water out with hardware weatherstripping.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Quote Originally Posted by crankin View Post
    Keeping the vents closed that long will insure that the seals "mold" to that vent shape. I think you will be hard pressed to keep all the air and water out with hardware weatherstripping.

Back off. It works on my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Well, heck if I left my truck in the garage all the time and never drove it in the rain, I am sure that it would work on mine too! ZING!
    Last edited by crankin; 12-20-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added "ZING!" for affect. Bada Bing would have also worked…but “ZING!” felt right.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Remember that 'works on my truck' for Amcordo could refer to the benefits of automatic wet t-shirts for 'ladies' in the back.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    Remember that 'works on my truck' for Amcordo could refer to the benefits of automatic wet t-shirts for 'ladies' in the back.
    On the down side, if they don't work they might get the stripper pole wet that he installed in the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    On the down side, if they don't work they might get the stripper pole wet that he installed in the tub.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    LOL !!!I'm wondering ,do you think the pole gets clammy when its wet like the earlier steering wheels or is it a later Series pole?
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Umm, yeah, well, back to the question, yep you need to let those things sit. I suggest doing it in now and leaving them closed all winter. It's cold enough in a Series in December so you won't have the vents open very often. Just get the 3M adhesive and a friend to push in on the vent cover and you're all set.