Thread: Coolant Leak

Default Coolant Leak

This morning topped off my coolant and drove about 20 miles to find that when I stopped at a coffee shop, coolant was steadily coming out somewhere towards the rear of the engine.

I was wondering if this is some type of gasket leak or a hose that might have ruptured.

Thanks,

John

Exclamation

It could be one of three things: (1) leak from a hose that failed; (2) leak from a gasket that failed; or (3) leak from a freeze plug that failed. If orange coolant is coming out towards the rear of the engine on a constant but slow basis, I would check the coolant hoses to the heater core first and then the gaskets. If it was the freeze plug, odds are you would have lost a great deal of coolant immediately, unless it is only slightly loose.
    If you have never replaced the hoses in seven years, there is a good chance that may be the cause. Check the other hoses. If they are bulging at the clamps or too soft or too hard, they need to be replaced, as does the thermostat. Don't do one at a time, do them all at once, and use only Genuine LR hoses.
    Check your serpentine belt while you are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
    It could be one of three things: (1) leak from a hose that failed; (2) leak from a gasket that failed; or (3) leak from a freeze plug that failed. If orange coolant is coming out towards the rear of the engine on a constant but slow basis, I would check the coolant hoses to the heater core first and then the gaskets. If it was the freeze plug, odds are you would have lost a great deal of coolant immediately, unless it is only slightly loose.
    If you have never replaced the hoses in seven years, there is a good chance that may be the cause. Check the other hoses. If they are bulging at the clamps or too soft or too hard, they need to be replaced, as does the thermostat. Don't do one at a time, do them all at once, and use only Genuine LR hoses.
    Check your serpentine belt while you are at it.
    Will do thanks for the help, I plan on diving into it in the morning.

Don't forget the throttle body heater they are known for leaking.
    Coolant runs down the valve cover on off the back.

Steve
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

That is true, forgot that small pain in the wrench. Standing in front of the engine, off to the right on top of the valve cover is a small device that looks like snake fangs. Two coolant hoses are attached, and it is secured by three screws.
    If the screws are loose, the coolant will leak on top of the valve cover and it will drive you nuts trying to figure out the source. Well, there it is. In order to tighten the screws, remove the hose going into the valve cover first, then tighten.
    After that, buy a new one and install it.