Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Land Rover

Default Puff Adders

Oh yes...similar memories of similar times...I attach a photo of my 1971 NADA spec IIA I had in Zimbabwe (but purchased in Jburg!) and driven around southern Africa for a couple of y....this particulr sojourn was back in the early 90s. We had stopped to look at a dead puff adder in the road....!

Default And a shot of a not so fortunate Landie...

...at a campsite on the shores of Lake Malawi. The gas stove blew one night and the occupants (a swedish couple overlanding it from Cape Town) only had enough time to jump for it out of the roof tent...

Quote Originally Posted by Clive
    Oh yes...similar memories of similar times...I attach a photo of my 1971 NADA spec IIA I had in Zimbabwe (but purchased in Jburg!) and driven around southern Africa for a couple of y....this particulr sojourn was back in the early 90s. We had stopped to look at a dead puff adder in the road....!
    Love the picture! "Elephant crossing"

a freind of my wifes totaled his car hitting a ele on New Years eve when we were partying on Lake Kariba. As hard as it may seem to not see an ele it happens all the time there! Lots of them up around the lake too.

Where was that one taken?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Quote Originally Posted by luangwablondes
    fruitpunch- I will do this legally or not at all. Not worth the hassle otherwise. I like my landy, but I am not married to the Beast.
    Nothing illiagal about driving it back, quicker faster and cheaper. Only questions is how you deal with having Costa Rican plates when you cross the border not sure if they issue a Carnet de Passage from a Touring club there but it has been done before. My crossing of the US border on foreign plates they were only worried about me bringing in white stuff no mention was ever made of what funny plates I had, if I was insured or where I was going. You realize that shipping from Costa Rica is like highway robbery, call for a quote the numbers are crazy.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Quote Originally Posted by msggunny
    Love the picture! "Elephant crossing"

a freind of my wifes totaled his car hitting a ele on New Years eve when we were partying on Lake Kariba. As hard as it may seem to not see an ele it happens all the time there! Lots of them up around the lake too.

Where was that one taken?
    Sorry, seem to have hijacked this thread...shot was taken in Zimbabwe on a western route into Hwange National Park from Vic falls side....

I eventually sold the truck to a south African guy - he was vacationing in Hwange and staying in the same campsite, thought the truck was neat and made an offer I could not refuse!

Speaking of animal experiences my father was driving in the Rukwa Valley in Tanzania in an old Series one and disturbed a Hippo which promptly charged, mouth open and bit the front wing...the tusks punched holes straight through the sheet metal of the wing and tore it to pieces..before running off, probably with toothache. Don't bite a series truck !

Surprising postings here.

Just how many of us have tooled around in a landy in Africa?

http://www.freewebs.com/luangwablondes/index.htm

I was in South Africa in 1974 collecting insects and reptiles for a professor at the University of Connecticut who was trying to prove the theory of transcontinental drift. We found 7 new species of Hemiptera which are small seed eating insects while there. I loved the country and if I hadn't been engaged to a wonderful woman I would have stayed. I hope to go back some day especially to the Indian market in Durban. I had 4 pet tourtises(sp?) which are still alive and well at UConn. Those were one of the very best times of my life.

Default If you like Africa

Came across this great trip report and all its photos in Angola. And I thought the toughest and biggest challenge to overland Africa was in a Series Landy. You got to admire these South Africans.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251

Excellent link Luangwa!

By the way, you have a nice site too. I need the answers to the quiz though. Also, I couldn't find what a luangwablond is, can you help? Google couldn't.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default Bushwalks

Thank you. Just a lot of information I picked up over time.

www.Tracks4Africa.com does digital mapping. In Google Earth, there is a feature layer generated by T4A that has all the roads and tracks (often remote tracks) recorded at this point. I am a contributor to T4A and what they call the Zambia Destination Holder. So all the information one needs to travel on road and offroad in Zambia is vested right there. The safari operators, accomodation owners and tour operators that have seen it have said it is the best thing out there and the most current. How about that, better then the guide books.

I managed a bush camp in North Luangwa National Park for a season and had a great time. Remote, few people, and lots of 4x4 territory. Loved that croc infested water crossing. The stories. Not really a place for 1st time visitors to Africa.

To help you out on that--Send your best guesses to luangwablondes at juno dot com

The website has been up 2 weeks and got sooooooooooo busy, had to register luangwablondes.

Currently http://www.freewebs.com/luangwablondes/index.htm

soon to be www.luangwablondes.com