Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restoring my 109

Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    Looking good! You are definitely in the fun stage. If it matters to you, there are a few things that might be changed in the interests of originality- the roof's rain gutter as well as the windshield frame should be galvanized finish rather than painted, and the roof itself would have been body color with only the sunsheet painted Limestone (just as the truck was before- ie Poppy Red roof/Limestone sunsheet)...did the paint shop overlook this stuff? It's happened to me before.

I only mention it because appears you are trying to stay faithful to the original look and you're not too far along to change it without much work.

Is that a 356B I spy next to the Land Rover? Looks very nice.
    Thanks. My paint shop is me and my buddy and I realize that it is not entirely factory correct. I am going for a mostly original look but have to admit that I am not going to be a purist about it. There are a few things that may not be purely correct based on some practicalities of doing the build myself. Also, it is going to be a truck for real use in the hills and I will probably keep it forever so I am not worried about what potential buyers might think.

Yes, that is my wife's 1964 356 C in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by rejeep View Post
    Question for you....
    The trim...
    So the door trim easy squeeze...
    And in all fairness I haven't examined mine very closely, but how do you remove the rear trim (horizontal and vertical pieces)
    I am looking to paint my rover this spring and your job has inspired me to do a little bit 're thorough job..

I agree with momo about the paint scheme, but I happen to like the painted windshield and full limestone top.. I think that is where I am going as well..
    You have to remove the rear corner pieces (the pieces with the windows that sit on top of the body and below the top) to get that trim off. They are riveted on, but they also cap off the body pieces, so the only way to get them off is to take off those upper corners.

I was going to just paint around the galvanized, but I am really glad I took the extra step and removed the trim for painting.

I'm not sure I would characterize the roof paint job as 'incorrect'. I have had a bone stock S3 109 (marine blue) station wagon with a limestone roof, My son has one now, which came from Kenya, and I know of another S2A 109 close by with a limestone roof, limestone sunsheet, and pastel green body.

I'm not sure I would characterize the roof paint job as 'incorrect'. I have had a bone stock S3 109 (marine blue) station wagon with a limestone roof, My son has one now, which came from Kenya, and I know of another S2A 109 close by with a limestone roof, limestone sunsheet, and pastel green body.
    Well, I never said it was incorrect. I was talking about the originality of the North American trucks. The paint scheme depends on the market.

-All North American 109 station wagons from 1958-1967 had tropical tops with Limestone sun sheets and body color roofs. And the OP's truck originally had this scheme as you can see.

-'67 was the last year for the 109 wagon in NA.

-Then, after the 1968 model year, coinciding with the migration of the headlights to the wings, the roofs and tropical tops were monochromatic in either white or Limestone. Wheels to match.

For example, a friend's 1970 Series IIA 109 station wagon is Marine Blue with white wheels, trop top and roof. It's a home market model.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this resto progresses. Beautiful so far.
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Picked up the tires Saturday. They look great. It is very exciting to see it coming back together. I wish I could spend more time on it, but there are too many other projects with deadlines. However, I will keep plugging away at it.

I know it’s not original.. and I might be in the minority.. but I like the windshield frame painted the body color along with the pie plate on the deluxe bonnet..
    Looks cleaner..
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

Thanks. I basically just re-did what was there before I painted it. Prior owner had painted the windshield white (I think it actually might have come off another truck) and the whole hood (bonnet) was painted red.

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

SHe is looking great i can't wait to repaint my stage 1
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Looks awesome!! What tiresdid you go with?

Default great truck

I think one can get just too wrapped up in making it look like it did when it left the plant. When I did mine (first time). I just painted it the color the girls wanted ( Rusto International Blue) and the trim was Rusto again but rattle can blue tinted Al. It all has lasted just fine.
    So, just do (your truck) however you want and enjoy it, if you want it concurs well make it just that and get really pissed off when it gets dinged, scratched or scrubbed up off roading.
    Jim Wolf