Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Series on e-Bay

Default Expensive Series on e-Bay

Well, usually a vehicle like this on e-Bay is brought up for discussion. So, let's talk about this one. Bidding is over $30k with reserve not met yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item3a62edba16

It's a nice looking vehicle, but at that price point I have to wonder:
    1) Why are the windshield frame, hood release, lower grille clips and hood hinges painted?
    2) Did they really mask around the letters on the oval badges when they were re-painted?
    3) A rusty trans brake drum?
    4) Off-brand tires on a $30K + vehicle?
    5) Hard to tell, but looks like the galv. cappings are painted.

It also looks a little strange without the original type vent seals - I assume they are using the style that attach to the vents instad of the bulkhead.
    Last edited by jac04; 02-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.

But look how shiney it is!

Well Jeff ,the obvious reason for the high $$ is that it is "Restored Better Than New"
    I think we all want to see what your lightweight would fetch on ebay,I'm thinking close to seven figures........ And worth every penny.
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Sean, why don't you spray one of those jallopies you have out back and put it up for sale? Make it nice and shiney and you could do well...

Painted Valve cover, Painted intake manifold, No oil bath air cleaner, no elephant hides, wrong oil/water gauge. Nothing originally galvanized is anymore.
    I hate looking at restorations on my laptop. Paint never looks right. Either way, all the character it accumulated in 50+ years washed away.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Sean, why don't you spray one of those jallopies you have out back and put it up for sale? Make it nice and shiney and you could do well...
    I'm sure I could but I dont want to taint the Rover market right now.Its so under valued ,placing my spit shined rust buckets out there could spin the entire World economy into turmoil.And I just don't need one more thing on my conscience.
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

is all the galvy on the body painted silver?
    yuck.
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

I'm confused by the Land Rover Badge on the front stating "Station Wagon" I thought the Station Wagon was a hard top with alpine windows and rear tub sides with sliding windows. That sure looks like a soft top, maybe it's my eyes. Please, someone help end my ignorance. Was a '63 offered as a Station Wagon?
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    2) Did they really mask around the letters on the oval badges when they were re-painted?
    Wow, that one little detail really says it all. If they can't be bothered to put even a little effort into painting the badge, but aren't smart enough to just leave it alone, just imagine what tragedies must be buried where you can't see them.
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

But they did a nice job painting the vent seals!
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2