Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defender for the wife

Default Defender for the wife

Hey Guys,
    Im looking at getting a 110 five door from the UK and shipping it over. I found this one and I am going to have one of my mates check it out. I wanted to see what you guys thought. I have owned series Rovers and imported them before but this will be my first defender. So what should I look for that is Defender specific? Also what do you guys think about 7,000 pound sterling for it? It has about 100,000 miles on it. Any help would be great thanks guys
    Derek

1985 LAND ROVER 110 200TDI REFURBISHED EXPORTABLE

This 1985 defender has been refurbished and up graded with a 1992 Defender 200tdi (car refurb pics available).

The car runs and drives very well, having a low millage engine and PAS

Fitted with pvc seats throughout the vehicle is well presented and is clean inside

The outter original grey colour has been updated to the range rover sport Bonneti Grey this colour is also carried on into the door inners and inner frame work.

The doors are push button types with solid rust free frames.

The bulk head, chassis & axles are the original 1985 they are very solid and are in excellent condition, the same goes for the foot wells and floor pans! Chassis number is ORIGINAL and is visable see pic vin on break boost un tampered with see pic!

I cant seem to make the pictures any bigger sorry guys.

Default Defender for the Mrs.

Pretty much the same rust/corrosion issues as the Series, except with a power steering that can have leaking issues.
    Is the 200 TDI a Defender unit or a Disco conversion? Have them check it over to make sure it isn't a bodge job. Find out if there's a service history available on the vehicle. A timimg belt change may be due if not.
    When was it's last MOT inspection, as this would pick up on a lot of issues that could cause it to not pass and get it pulled from service?
    Also have them get the VIN verified as Defender thefts are a problem over there. You don't want to send money to end up having the vehicle confiscated at Customs.
    I'm sure others will pipe in with other areas of concern they've come across.

ps: Nice looking rig by the pics though.

Thanks for the help. My wife is looking at the following 2 defenders and having a hard time picking one. Let me know what you guys think

a blue 1983 110
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1527wt_1141

and the gray 1985 110
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sQ%252Fas%253D

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

LOL, reading the headline in a RSS I thought you were looking to trade your wife for a Defender. Thinking to myself of the old joke about looking for a woman who can clean, scrub, cook fish, walk the dog, raise the kids and has a boat, send picture of boat.
    1967 Series IIA 88

Im just lucky she really wants a Defender. We already have a 1975 Lightweight, a 1982 ex MOD 109 (that she bought for me), and now she wants a 5 door for the new baby! So please guys check out those two links and let me know what you think.

Derekchace,

I recently just got my defender 90 over from England, I'm originally from the UK and grew up with my Dads Series and Defenders. We went through a company called Liveridge, absolutely fantastic! It's a big problem not being over there in the UK because there are many rust areas which can not been seen without taking some stuff apart, unless you have a really good friend over there who will do it for you I wouldn't trust the seller.

I highly recommend going through a company like liveridge. Leveridge does a variety of work from complete restorations to any work you would ever want. Here is a link: http://www.liveridge4x4.com/home/default.asp The guy who owns it, Chris helped develop the legendary Haynes manual. He does a lot of international work so he knows exactly what forms and other good stuff you need. I can send you pics of my 90 and the fantastic job they did on it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
    Derekchace,

I recently just got my defender 90 over from England, I'm originally from the UK and grew up with my Dads Series and Defenders. We went through a company called Liveridge, absolutely fantastic! It's a big problem not being over there in the UK because there are many rust areas which can not been seen without taking some stuff apart, unless you have a really good friend over there who will do it for you I wouldn't trust the seller.

I highly recommend going through a company like liveridge. Liveridge does a variety of work from complete restorations to any work you would ever want. Here is a link: http://www.liveridge4x4.com/home/default.asp The guy who owns it, Chris helped develop the legendary Haynes manual. He does a lot of international work so he knows exactly what forms and other good stuff you need. I can send you pics of my 90 and the fantastic job they did on it if you want.
    I've been debating importing a Defender later this year over the last few month's and they look like a great place to start. I would love to see yours and get some details about it.
    WAR EAGLE!

65 IIa 88
    95 RRC 25th Anniversary
    98 Discovery LE7
    00 DII (Sold)

Thanks USlandy.
    I am very lucky in the fact my wife is a Brit with her family still living over there. I am currently dealing with this company www.countyanddefendercentre.co.uk . They have a 1983 110 that my Wife'ss step father will be looking at on monday. I will also give that other company a call. Thank you very much for the link. If you would please take a look at the below link to the 83 im looking at please let me know what you think about it and the price. Also if you have any suggestions for questions to ask them. Mark at county and defenders had been great to deal with any really seems to know his stuff. Thanks for all the help please keep it coming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Land-Rover-Defen...#ht_1516wt_986