Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defender for the wife

Derek

The one thing you have to check is when you bring it in as a Vintage car, 25 years or older (im guessing thats what your doing b/c thats how we got ours here) you have to be carefull with the upgrades on the vehicle. It has a 300tdi by the looks of it and that is not standard for the year. They could have thrown a disco 300tdi and r380 gear box in, they fit with modification. It sits further back in relation to the defender ones, not too big of a deal. But you want to make sure that they did a good job on that.

Now here is the bad part, if the lads at customs wants to be a pain in the arse they can impound it for not being proper of the time period and that means your out of a landy. We chatted with the chicago customs guys and they told us they didn't really mind if there were a few simple modifications if it were being imported privately, (simple being NO LIFT KITS and other off roading gear). They are mainly trying to nail people who are bringing a few of them in to sell. So be prepared that if you bring it over customs could impound it, and thats going to cost you.

Checking for rust you want to make sure the bulkhead is all good. Behind the heater box usually is a pretty rusty spot. Tell your family to take a screw driver and check the whole frame, stab at any rust on the frame with the screwdriver because if they did something to cover it the screwdriver will tell the truth. Also if the guys says you cant poke around with the screw driver probably means that its got some good rust on it.

Looks like it will be a fun project once you get it in the U.S!

Thanks for thr help. I will ask him about what type of engine and gearbox. I know it's been convered to a 200tdi with power steering and fitted a 200tdi Spec 5 speed gearbox and transfer. I will also have them check the frame I would do the same with any Rover. That is the first I heard about problems with import with it just having a tdi engine. I did hear they are cracking down on people that bring in more then 1 or 2 a year. I also they where really after thr completely rebuilt and brought up to current spec ones I have seen going for over 25,000 sterling! I have imported a Series before a 82 mod 109. I tend to go thru Newark as I am an airline pilot and that is my current base. Makes it easy to drive it back up to VT when ever customs releases it. It took them three weeks to get around to looking at my 109 last year. No problems just tool forever. I also use a customs broker to speed up the process. Thanks for all thr help. My wife is really looking forward to having a Rover of her own. I am looking forward to only having Land Rovers in the drive way. Thr only problem is going to be I'm one driver short for takeing all 3 to thr British invasion!

You sound in good shape, I hope it comes over with no problems! I wish I was a little closer to the east coast for the British Invasion. I'd seen it online and it would be a blast to go to. Maybe I can convince my dad to come with me! Now that my dad seen my 90 and been driving it around he is looking to bring over a 110 so maybe we'll get a few more land rovers in the drive, mine is kind lonely.

Once you get it over here dont forget to post some pics of her!

It really is a great car show. Over 800 british Cars! I will defiantly keep this thread updated as the search and hopefully the import progresses.