Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big trouble? Can't engage 3rd/4th. UPDATE POST 17

Default Big trouble? Can't engage 3rd/4th. UPDATE POST 17

History:

I took my truck down about 16 months ago to rewire and convert to 12v. Ended up moving to a new house and had the Series towed on a front wheel dolly. Dropped the front driveshaft and put everything in neutral.

Just got it running good enough for its first drive yesterday. Cannot shift into 3rd/4th gear. I'm assuming something went awry during towing but that may help pinpoint what happened.

Took the shifter apart and took the top cover on the case apart to do a quick inspection and to tinker around. There isn't anything obvious that stands out to why the shifter isn't moving at all.

Any ideas on what happened or suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks all!
    J
    Last edited by SeriesShorty; 02-16-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Does it shift while the engine is off? Or with the transfer case in neutral?
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Im assuming from what you said that you have the tunnel off. Can you see that the ball on the end of the shift lever is fully into the socket of the 3/4 selector shaft?(the one on the left side) If so, can you then see if the shaft "wants" to move fore or aft, or does the whole shaft seem frozen.
    When you say everything was in neutral, I'm assuming you mean the TC and trans., The "rule' is to put TC in neutral, and trans in 4th, but so long as at least the TC was in neutral, and depending on how long the tow was, you may simply have a gear that doesn't want to slide on a rusty mainshaft.

Doesn't shift into 3rd/4th at all, engine running or not, TC in neutral or not.

Reverse, 1st/2nd are smooth as silk. The ball of the shifter fits cleanly into the cup for the 3/4, but seems frozen in place.

Took the shifter off and tried to pry the shaft into place thinking something was just rusty or gummed up. But no luck there either. The gearbox has 15k on it, and I had just changed the fluids before I took the truck down last year. Its clean as a whistle inside.

I'm gonna start labeling up some ziplocs just in case I need to start taking this thing out.

Dropped the front driveshaft and put everything in neutral.
    Removing the front drive shaft does nothing really as it simply floats till 4 wheel drive is engaged.

I think that it would be wise tomorrow to remove the transmission top cover to see 1) if the selector shaft is frozen in place, 2) the selector fork is engaged in it's corresponding groove.

Possibly a silly question but did you try to move the Landy under it own power? I'm just trying to determine if the transmission or transfer case has any form of binding in it.

Todd.

I amazed how often my answers to tech questions involve the detent springs and balls.

I'd check that - it's easy, especially since you have the gearbox tunnel off. The 3/4 detent mechanism is a pretty poor design. It's a steel ball in a close tolerance aluminum cylinder. It's easy for the cylinder to get out-of-round because half the cylinder is in the gearbox case and half is in the top cover. It's more likely that the ball is tight in the hole and once shifted into 3 or 4, the ball sticks in the "out" position and the spring isn't able to return it into the detent on the shaft. I believe this is perhaps a more likely cause of jumping out of 3rd than a missing syncro spring. Any way, it's possible that with the already tight tolerance and dissimilar metals combined with a prolonged lack of use that the ball is stuck in the "in" position, preventing 3/4 shifting.

I don't think that's likely, btw, but it's possible. The next likely cause is the syncro. You'll have to open it up to inspect that.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I had a similar problem with my series III. The 3/4 syncro spring had turned 90° in the syncro assembly. Simple fix with a screwdriver. I do agree that you should check and clean the detent springs first before opening the top cover.

Tooks the "balls" and springs out when I took the top cover off so they couldn't have caused any binding. With everything out of the way the shaft still doesn't move.

Any other thoughts?

As was mentioned, the 3-4 synchro....with the cover removed and the shift fork out you should be able to move it. If you can't you've probably found the problem.

That is what I was afraid of, but wanted to rule out anything else I could be overlooking.

Anything else I should tackle as good measure while I've got the gearbox out? I've got new mounts so I'll throw those on while I'm at it.