Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What motor oil do you use for a 1970 IIA?

Default What motor oil do you use for a 1970 IIA?

The Haynes book says SAE 10W/40 to 20W/50 and API SE or SF. I've been using Accel 10W/40 SF from Walmart which says "for model years 1988 and earlier" BUT after recently reading-up on oil, I've learned that SF is considered obsolete and the fact that the bottle doesn't have an API Certified seal means I should be wary.

What do people recommend? What's RN say? - Thanks

-Andy

Oh, and sorry if this is a duplicate post. It seems like a simple question but the search engine for the forum wouldn't search the word "oil" - at least not for me
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

IMHO you can't possibly ask too many questions about 1970 IIA's.

Where do you live? I'm in Maine and use Castrol 5w40 Syntec year round. I have a brandy new engine, so I'm fussy. Also, I appreciate the easy cold starts.

Otherwise, I'd follow the manual and tailor the choice to my environment.

I'm in the DC area. The weather ranges from the 20s to the 90s. Sometimes, it seems, in the same day. It's been starting pretty easily regardless of the weather, as long as I give it enough choke. The engine is definitely not new.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

Default oil

Most anything will work of course but you are certainly using the bottom of the barrel with that Accel oil. Just get some 10W30 whatever. havoline, pennzoil, whatever will be fine. I use 15W40 Delo 400

The lowest API rating you can buy off the shelf is miles beyond what this motor had originally, so any decent stuff will do. I have run the Wal-Mart brand of 15w40 with good luck and a 10w40 for winter. I have settled on a 0w50 which is an excellent in uber cold weather with no plug in. As for those who claim new oils are no good because of the lack of Zinc anti-wear additive, then check out how the cam followers wear on any old 2 litre. I get temps from -30 to +30c and the 0w50 or 5w40 works all around. I am not a big fan of full synthetics, but this works for me changing it once a year.

IMO, a good quality 10W-40 is usually an excellent choice for all-around use. As TedW stated, you can adjust your oil selection based on environment (and if you want to spend the time researching viscosities, pour points, viscosity index, etc.). Turner recommended 10W-40 Castrol GTX for my new long block.

The whole zinc/zddp additive thing is usually a concern only for flat-tappet engines.

IMO , IMHO ? I'm not up on this lingo. What do they mean?

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    IMO , IMHO ? I'm not up on this lingo. What do they mean?
    IMO: In my opinion
    IMHO: In my humble opinion

Using them is a way to present an opinion with a touch of humility.
    Last edited by TedW; 03-07-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    IMO: In my opinion
    IMHO: In my humble opinion

Using them is way to present an opinion with a touch of humility.
    and without wasting time on your humility
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

this is getting a little old now but still has some good basic info:
    http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

I use Shell Rotella, either 15w40 or t6 depending what I happen to be using it in. It is a good oil, pretty cheap, and is available everywhere in handy 1 gallon jugs.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums